Stereo SID build question

bsilverberg

Please excuse the rookie noob question, but, I've successfully built a 'mono' minimal control surface MBSID with Core8 and have started adding buttons/encoders. Tons of fun! But that got me thinking about making it stereo like a sammichSID. My question is, how/where do I interface the second SID board? I looked through this site (and others) and couldn't figure it out. And will I need to change anything else in my existing setup to make it perform in stereo (other than adding a stereo out jack from the combined outputs?)

Thanks!

Ben

Hello!

For a stereo sid setup you need of course one core8 with the right pic. I don't think the previous usual pic18f452 will work here. And you need 2 sid modules.

All the info needed on how to connect them modules together will be found in the midibox.org wiki and on ucapps.de.

Not having finished my own stereosid build quite yet, I can't tell u too much firmware wise. I guess there is a stereosid application that can be loaded onboard, but not sure wich, or what the differences are.

And again, all info will be found on ucapps. Though it seems like a rather simple site on top, there is tons of information when you dig deep. The studying will be good for you also, since it makes u learn a lot about the platform.

Good luck, and have fun with the sid. I'm off planning a case for my mb6582. When I'm done I will have 10 sids in my arsenal hehe. They have its own mixing console hehe.

As for the Jacks, you can use either two mono jacks or a stereo jack. All depends on how u wanna connect it. If u have loads of channels like my 10 sids it makes sense to use a sterojack and save the mono inputs on your console for things that need preamp.

And yeah, u interface the second board to a connector to the same connector on the core. In other words, they are wired parallel. Except for 1 wire. From the second SID module, you extract one wire from the loom and connect it to its own onepin connector on the core, can't remember what its name is right now. So...

All cables run from connector on core to connector on first sid. Then you cut on wire off at that point, and run the rest of them to sid2. Then one wire goes from core directly to sid2, in the place of the same one you didn't bring with you from sid1. Sorry, a lot of confusing explaining here, but I believe the schem is on ucapps.de somewhere... Don't remember what to look for atm...

And yeah, u interface the second board to a connector to the same connector on the core. In other words, they are wired parallel. Except for 1 wire. From the second SID module, you extract one wire from the loom and connect it to its own onepin connector on the core, can't remember what its name is right now. So...

All cables run from connector on core to connector on first sid. Then you cut on wire off at that point, and run the rest of them to sid2. Then one wire goes from core directly to sid2, in the place of the same one you didn't bring with you from sid1. Sorry, a lot of confusing explaining here, but I believe the schem is on ucapps.de somewhere... Don't remember what to look for atm...

Ah! Excellent!!! Thank you so much for your insights and for steering me in the right direction! After some more digging, I found a pdf in the wiki that details the interconnections. Thanks so much! I originally started building it thinking it would be a simple mono SID tester. I used a ZIF socket for the SID for quick loading and unloading. But as I use it and add on to it, I want to grow it more!

Hehe, i know the feeling of getting greedy. I started out with my mb6582 and planned for only 4 sids. Then I came across a couple of not so bad deals on 4 more fully tested. Then flemming here on the forum said to me he thought I would be a person that had at least one modular based sid synth, and I thought well, I kinda am, so I went on holliday to Denmark last summer with some friends and family, so I sat down in my car and drove across denmark to Copenhagen one of the days we were in Denmark, up to Flemming's place, and bought one of his stereosid setups. Just need to get it in a box now, and get myself a control surface for it.

So that trip to Copenhagen cost me more than what I got hehe, but it was a nice trip, and nice to be out on flem's balcony having ourselves some smoke while talking about all the weirdos in here hehe, joking of course.

So well worth it. Because I got greedy I went from Norway to Copenhagen to visit flem and pick it up myself hehe, beat that.

Let us know how stuff work out for ya, hang out in the irc channel, a lot of us is messing around there every day, talking shop and harras each other, very nice hehe.

The second SID board is forthcoming. In the meantime I should win the award the UGLIEST p.o.s. looking SID build ever...on the planet!! I would like to thank being cheap, being impatient, and having almost no time or good tools to work on it as my primary inspirations. But you know what? It works perfectly and sounds Amazing!! Besides, all it was ever supposed to do was test SID's (as can be seen by the funky ZIF socket).

post-8245-0-51055500-1329761275_thumb.jp

Yo! Hehe, its by far not the ugliest I have seen hehe.

I really like that LCD. What kind is it? I would like that one for my own stereo sid case! I was originally going with a black and green theme, so I purchased 2 lcd with green letters. But I changed my plan to a black and blue theme, because I wanted to cover the front of the synth with colored "carbon fibre cloth", and they were only available in blue, red and yellow, besides black and white, so blue it is. And that lcd seems very easy to read.

Hey guys, thanks for the encouragement!! I agree, I also like having the chips 'out' just like valve amps. I'll have to check on the lcd for you. It was a leftover lcd that was lying around that I had originally purchased for my MB-6582 build, but it was too Big!! It was a classic smack-the-forehead moment to say the least. :)