HDD stepper motor as a DJ plate

bosone

I imagine you could use the mechanism out of an old mouse (opto-mechanical) to do similar. The upside would be that the precision would be a lot higher and you wouldn't need to smash up so many hard disks. One mouse would be all that is needed.

You would obviously need to pair each small roller up to a spindle which then connects to the "deck", with a couple of bearings for a smooth action. Some skateboard wheel cartridge bearings (maybe use the wheel to contain them? :)).

Edited by Gilesjuk

• 4 weeks later...

The harddisk idea is kinda neat. It's a sturdy construction, and it also feels nice. The precision - I have no idea.

Gilesjuk, I don't know if I'm understanding you correct, but when I see talk of skateboard wheel bearings, or blades wheel bearings or whatever, the first thing that comes to mind is that these bearings is made for vertical position operation. I'm not sure how long they will last if u lay them down and put a disk on there and use it for spinning hands. There are bearings that are made for horizontal operation, and that might be a better idea... just throwing out some thoughts here... :).

A little off topic, but horizontal bearings makes me think in awe of the industrial looking rotating synth stand that Jordan Rudess uses. I am gonna make myself one of those... one day... when I get old and :hairy: hehe.