8x8 Interface/router/filter (noob)

soje

Hi all.

I'm a total noob on this forum, so please forgive me if I'm asking stupid questions in the wrong place :-)

I would like to build a 8x8 midi interface for the computer, with routing/filtering AND standalone capabilities. I'm thinking configurations thru computer, but saving the setup on the device so u can grab it and go with those settings. Also editing from the front panel shold be possible.

Hardware-wise, I'm thinking 1u 19" rack with lcd and some buttons on the front panel. Midi in/outs, USB and power (obviously it need onboard power) on the back.

I've done a some programming in the past, also for microchips. This will take som studying on my part, but that's part of the fun :-) However between the GM5, PLC17, IIC modules, and described projects I'm a bit confused. Which modules would I need to build this? PLC17, and 4*IIC?

8x8 is by the way not set in stone, but something along those lines.

Thankyou for your patience!

Soren

These days I would look to see if the LPC17 CORE will do what yu want. It already has 2x MIDI interfaces, and more can be added fairly easily. The GM5 solution is not ideal since it may be difficult to source the GM5 chip itself, and it is just meant to be a straight USB to MIDI bridge (it can't do any processing/filtering by itself). Not sure what the limits on MIDI interfaces would be for the LPC17, but the GM5 only supports up to 5x5.

I think that can also be done with the LPC17

Yes sure. But it always depends on Your needs. As far as I know, there is no 4x4 or 8x8 MIDI-Router project on LPC17 base yet. I thought for a MIDIbox Newbie it would be a good starting point to take a look at a finished project.

Edited by lemonhorse

Yes sure. But it always depends on Your needs. As far as I know, there is no 4x4 or 8x8 MIDI-Router project on LPC17 base yet. I thought for a MIDIbox Newbie it would be a good starting point to take a look at a finished project.

Thanks for your replys. I'll look into LPC17 with IIC for aditional ports :-)

Regards

Soren