Minimum Control Surface + only 5 knobs (knob#)

ytsestef

Would it be possible to build a "minimum" control surface (lcd,rotary encoders, the 5 buttons below, inc, dec, shift) and add the 5 knobs from the osc section of the full control surface?

The concept is to program the sound in the editor or via the menus but still be able to control 5 parameters for live playing, assigned on diferent parameters depending on the patch. I guess I would had to alter the fw to make the knobs always act at knob mode (as opposed to envelope mode). What do you say?

Sounds like a good idea to me. I'm quite sure it's possible.

Since the mode is not stored in the patch and the machine always starts in envelope mode, you're right about altering the FW.

This can't be much work, if you know what to change. To find out may take some time though.

Thanks a lot for your replies. The KNoBs menu section of the manual mentions:

"Knob values can not only be changed within the KNB menu, but also with the 5 rotary encoders of the OSC assign layer. In addition, they can be controlled via analog pots connected to J5.A0..A4 "

What kind of pots are optimal for this and how would I wire them? If I do it this way there's no need to switch to "knb mode" i guess, right? (I mean analog pots connected on J5 are always controlling knb#1-5?)

Thanks again for your time, you have been very helpful!

Pots will always control the knob values, if configured to do so.

You wire the pots like those in the mb64, but without an AIN module. They have a better feel for life tweaking than encoders, but they have an absolute position.

So when you switch patches, values will jump to the pots current value and you'll have to readjust. With encoders the values will stay as saved in the patch.

For pots, you'll need to edit the setup_*.asm file, but since this is documented in the CS-section of the manual, it will be easier than editing the firmware to start up in knob mode for the encoders.

• 1 month later...

I'm thinking of doing the same...just finished a MB SID with the minimum control surface and would like to add 5 more knobs by using the analog inputs.

I looked at the MB64 documentation to see how to wire the pots and could not find a wiring diagram. Also did not see anything in the wiki.

I also searched the forum and could not find anything.

Thanks,

Tom