Teac ca-200 Sd card reader

EsotericLabs

Hello,

I'm new to midibox, but I'll have a lpc17 core soon. I want to to build a hardware midi player like in tutorial #019 on ucapps.de

I have a teac ca200 multi card reader ( sd mmc rs sm cf md etc) from an old dell pc. It has a 2x5 pin connector to the pc motherboard, but should be USB. The cable has red white green and for black wires.

Can I connect this device to the core and use it as a storage device? Does anyone have experience With this?

Thanks for your hints & ideas!

No, you would need a USB host with proper drivers to use this device. LPC17 under MIOS does not act as USB host - you can see that already from the connector that is used.

In order to use the SD slot part of your device, you would have to destroy it - cut the traces on the PCB that run to the SD card connector/slot and solder your own connection/cable there. Honestly, I would not do that though, the risk of not getting a proper solder joint when connecting to PCB traces is too high.

Can recommend these el-cheapo SD-Readers, they are easy to obtain and cheaper than most stand-alone SD-Slots. Just open the plastic case, desolder all components from the PCB and solder the SD cable pins directly to the SD-card-holder pins as described in the SD-Card tutorial on ucapps.de.

http://www.reichelt.de/Kartenleser-und-Adapter/READER-SD/3//index.html?ACTION=3&GROUPID=4825&ARTICLE=59213&SHOW=1&START=0&OFFSET=500&

You can re-attach the plastic case afterwards, so you will get a nice external/internal sd reader for very cheap.

Bye,

Peter