MN3005 Bucket Brigade Delay Chips

Hawkeye

Hola,

After having had lotsa fun with the Polivoks VCF build, what the MB6582 really still misses is a "vintage" analog delay (moar saturation with increased delay times, "deluxe memory man" style), so I´ve looked into some diy analog delay projects...

Using the retro MN3005 bucket brigade chip would be my first choice (i know, there are modern alternatives, but the real thing with 15V headroom would be nice! ;-))

Now, there are some chinese sellers on ebay, but... you know...

Questions:

a) does any MIDIboxer have some leftover stock from an analog delay build (i´d need four pieces)?

b) any recommendations on "reliable" ebay or shop sources, that have these in stock?

No hurries... :-)

Thx for any comment!

Peter

Edited by Hawkeye

My go to shop of choice for This would be Small Bear Electronics! Their shoppe... flowers.png

They have some fakes that are half the length and are upfront about it. But they have clones from Cool Audio or Shanghai Belling.

I don't have any such, but I could maybe be talked into selling a couple of TDA1022s to a damsel in distress.

/Johan

Thanks for the reply and the TDA1022 offer, J!

Will keep looking for a while, neither the listed shoppe or utsource haz them (asked for a quote), if all fails, will prolly fallback to the "Coolaudio" 3005 clone, that has less headroom, but should work somehow!

Bye,

Peter

Hi Peter,

I already built the Rebote delay 2.5 with PT2399.

It sounds too much vintage ...with his High frequency cut :smile:

PT2399 is very easy to find on ebay ...one I can send to you if you need but I think you need 4 at least.

Regards

Antonio

Hi Antonio,

was always planning to build a "Dirtbag Deluxe" DIY analog echo,

but the Rebote 2.5 sounds really nice lo-fi, despite being digital...

still pondering! But thanks a lot! Hope your holidays were nice!

Bye,

Peter

Edited by Hawkeye

Hi Peter,

is this "Dirtbag Deluxe" hiFi pedal?

About the holydays thanks.

It was fantastic as I spent it in a Integral Sea Reserve.

No boats around and cristal clear water...only some authorized boats from diving centers .

If on a day you and your girl will be in Calabria visit Isola di Capo Rizzuto...very wild mediterranean place and fantastic sea :thumbsup:

Regards

Antonio

Hi Antonio,

thanks and thanks for the holiday location tip!

The Dirtbag Deluxe (here is the DIY build link: http://www.madbeanpe...rtBagDeluxe.pdf ) is an EHX Deluxe Memory Man clone, an analog delay, based on those old "bucket brigade" delay chips from Panasonic... all "retro analogs" are quite lo-fi, because the high frequencies will degrade the longer the delay time (gives this dark "pink floyd" character), many digital delays emulate that (and I think the rebote does this too with some analog filtering)... I already have a digital "jomox t-resonator" delay+filter, which can do other wild things, so I wanted to build a pure analog one, when there is time... but I have to agree, the Rebote 2.5 sounds really very close to those analog ones, i like it a lot!

Bye!

Peter

Edited by Hawkeye

• 4 weeks later...

Research note, to anyone interested in these delays :)

As for now, you can still get MN3008 bucket brigade delay chips with half the delay time as the MN3005s from trustworthy sources like smallbear electronics (jojjelito´s recommended link, thx again!). These can be converted into "full" 4096-stage "bucket brigades" by chaining two of these chips - the corresponding circuit is also published on that site.

The other alternative are v3205 chips, which are new pseudo-clones by coolaudio and are available for about 1/3 of the price of two 2048-stage BBDs. But the v3205s are driven by 9V only, have less headroom - and in some delay designs seem to have problems with distorted delays.

Here is a nice "old vs new bucket brigade delay" demo:

As a conclusion, the cost for a "real" -15v analog DIY delay today is less than 100$, which I think is still great for its sound.

The price will probably rise in the future, as the MN3008s may become quite rare, too...

Many greets,

Peter

Edited by Hawkeye