MB6582: Sustain knob only increases value

pingosimon

The "sustain" knob only INCREASES values, whether I turn it right or left. This applies to the default sustain value that it controls, and also any value that I set it to edit. I tried replacing the rotary encoder, but got the same result with the new encoder.

The top row of the LED matrix does not work. It doesn't light up on power up, or when I press the button for that row.

I have a different MB6582 with a similar problem: the Release/Pulsewidth knob only decreases values, whether it's turned right or left. (All else seems good on that one.)

Edited by pingosimon

Check the pins for the ribbon connections as there is probably a short somewhere, particularly if things were going ok up until recently. Check to make sure no pins are bridged together as well as making sure there is continuity across the cable.

Those connections generally take the most abuse and can also be tricky to solder well depending on the ribbon cable used (the solder can have a tendency to wick up the wire causing it to become brittle and break).

Well that worked for a bit. The ribbon connections seemed to be the only problem. But of course when I put the faceplate back on and powered on, the whole thing went nuts. I'll keep redoing the ribbon joints till it works, thanks!

Er, actually it seems this time it was the LCD shorting out on the control surface board. That's caused some problems before. I taped off what I thought were the problem spots, but apparently that didn't work, so I loosened the screws holding the LCD to the board.

and in the case of the OTHER MB8582 (the decreasing release/pulsewidth knob), I couldn't find anything wrong with the ribbon cables or the LCD, but replacing the rotary encoder worked.

Edited by pingosimon