SidControl Integration Only Project

TommyT

Hello!

I'm wanting to start a Midibox SID project, but I only plan to control the SID synth with the SidControl VST. In my perfunctory reading, it would seem that I wouldn't need to add any synth controls to the hardware. Is this correct?

What would I need to do to my Commodore 64 to get it working with the SidControl VST?

Thanks!

Tom

The midibox SID project requires you to build a power supply, a core module, and a SID module for the minimal configuration. The only part of the commodore it uses is the SID chip.

All of the information you need for this project can be found at ucapps.de

If you would simply like to have midi control of your SID chip without having to build any additional hardware, you can get a MSSIAH cartridge, which will simply plug into the back of the commodore and instantly allow you to make music.

The midibox SID project requires you to build a power supply, a core module, and a SID module for the minimal configuration. The only part of the commodore it uses is the SID chip.

All of the information you need for this project can be found at ucapps.de

If you would simply like to have midi control of your SID chip without having to build any additional hardware, you can get a MSSIAH cartridge, which will simply plug into the back of the commodore and instantly allow you to make music.

Oh! Good to know, thanks! Does the Mssiah cartridge require using the Commodore 64 as the interface? Having to bring a monitor for the computer to live gigs is far too clunky. I emailed them several days ago but I haven't heard back from them.

Thanks!

Tom

Hey and welcome.

If you want a synth module I suggest u build a core-module, a SID-module and a powersupply (ucapps.de for schem - www.midibox-shop.com for kits). This way you gotta go all nasty with your C64 and rip it's SID-chip out of there and relocate it in the mbSID-module. (this part of the job is very uncomplicated as long as u protect it from static el. shocks which can kill it - it is in an IC socket so it's basically just to pull it carefully out of there)

I don't know about mssiah cartrige (never tried it myself so I have no idea how this works).

So - if u want to keep your C64 intact you have two options. 1 - use the mssiah cartridge and bring your C64 to the show everytime or 2. Go buy a SID chip off ebay or something similar. Occationally there is also SIDs being sold in the midibox forum's "fleamarket"...

If u can part with your C64 - use it's SID chip.

Anyway when u build it - be carefull to choose the right voltage for it - since there is basically two different types out there - one use 5v and 12v (6581) and the 8580 chip uses 5v and 9v.

If u decide to build it, there is plenty of info and helpful people hanging around here.

Personally I wouldn't doubt building one if I were gonna use it for gigs. A C64 is also a bulky thing to drag around, and it's old with all the negative sides of that fact.

And yes, you are right, the mbSID can be played without any control surface connected. Just midi in and audio out will do in that case. But if u are a synth guy, u will definetly appreciate a control surface in live situations - but there's no problems in adding this later on either... so...

Hope u have the answers to decide what to do.

And oh - last thing: If I had 1 C64 - I would personally never pull it's SID - I would like to have it working. mmmmmm nostalgia! I would rather go find a chip online or something. It is a bit spendy (especially when u got 10 like I got :P) but definetly worth it.

Personally I wouldn't doubt building one if I were gonna use it for gigs. A C64 is also a bulky thing to drag around, and it's old with all the negative sides of that fact.

And yes, you are right, the mbSID can be played without any control surface connected. Just midi in and audio out will do in that case. But if u are a synth guy, u will definetly appreciate a control surface in live situations - but there's no problems in adding this later on either... so...

Ah, ok. So you think an mbSID would be too bulky and fragile for carrying to gigs? Good to know.

I think I might look into the retrocade from Gadget Factory or the sammichSID. The sammichSID project seems to have ended but maybe I can find a used one on the forums? We'll see.

Thanks!

Tom Tolleson

Ah, ok. So you think an mbSID would be too bulky and fragile for carrying to gigs? Good to know.

It depends on how you build it. One core module and one SID module are small; you could put them with a power supply in a shoebox, and that would hardly be "bulky" (though probably "fragile"). At the opposite extreme is something like Wilba's beautiful MB6582, which is neither bulky nor fragile but would cost much more time and money. The sammichSID is a nice compact option, and even if the kit isn't available anymore you can build something like it without too much trouble.

Dude... If u read what i wrote u will see that i said a commodore64 was bulky to drag along, and that the mbSID is the thing u want to have on gigs. A mbsid aint bulky at all.

What i meant was, why drag along an old computer 30 years old actually, when u are needing the soundchip and not the whole box... Much better to build a modern mbSID then.

• 2 weeks later...

Your best route would be a mbSID setup, there is SO much more sound control with the midibox as compared to a C64 with an midi interface.

I too have a Papilio 500k, and have a Retrocade wing on order. But you must understand, with the Retrocade the SID core is a good VHDL description of the real SID, at it's heart it's all digital. I don't know if the Analog section of the SID is even modeled, and if it is, will it have the same response as the original silicone. To me this is the same question with the SwinSID, I plan to use a few of those also, but if I had the resources I would prefer all REAL SIDs. Both of these, either software or VHDL, are great and sound very good, but are unique in their own. Where is the line between a softSynth VST with a very good sound card compared to real hardware controlled over midi? With enough sample bits and a high enough sample rate can we tell the difference between a digital filter and a analog filter? Scott Gravenhorst's fpga synths are amazing (they are why I got the Papilio in the first place). Just wish I had the skills and time to port his designs to the Papilio (it needs a proper DA converter also), in retrospect, should have gotten the same SK board he uses.

I've talked too much, Yogi