Question about MIDIO128 V3 & midi file player

jjonas

Hi Marton,

really nice to read that you were able to setup the MIDIbox without additional hints from my side! :)

Inversion flag: I can add this but it will require some testing... but just to confirm, the diodes of your keyboard are soldered with the reverse polarity, right?

Back to the Windows MIDI USB topic: there is no acceptable workaround for the Microsoft driver... but with the permission of Ploytec I enabled MIOS32 for using the GM5 driver!

This driver gives you the best performance, and especially robust SysEx transfers! :)

-> http://www.ucapps.de/mios32/midio128_v3_011_pre6.zip

(Note: if you haven't done this yet, install MIOS32 Bootloader V1.009 first! This update is still required!)

MIDIO128 V3.011pre6
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

o Number of USB devices set to 4 again

o support for GM5 driver under Windows.
MacOS and Linux users: just install this update, no additional changes required.
Windows users:
- upload the application with MIOS Studio
- close MIOS Studio
- install the GM5 driver which can be downloaded from http://www.ucapps.de/mbhp_usb_gm5.html
- start MIOS Studio -> 4 "GM5" USB ports should be visible
[/code]

I really hope that this solves your USB issues under Windows! I've intensively tested this setup under WinXP and Win7

Best Regards, Thorsten.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Thorsten,

Thanks for the quick answer!

In the matrix I am using the structure of the original plan. So the diodes are not reversed. The only difference is that as buttons I am using optocouplers. They are working so: when they can see each other (Button OFF) the output is 0V. When the key from the keyboard is pressed they can't see each other (Button ON), and he output is 5V.

In this way the MIDI messages are generated, but Note OFF is generated for Button ON, and vice versa.

I hope I could write it clearly... :)

Many thanks for implementing this feature!!!

Marton

I loaded the midio128_v3_011_pre6 software but only tested it using the Midi player. Its working fine with windows 7 and all 4 USB ports. I went into the .MID panel and noticed for the first time that the encoder knob had more options added to it. Also surprised that the PORT field has completely separate entries for enabling play and record modes for all of the ports like you had discussed in previous posts.

Tested playback on all 4 USB ports and Midi Ports 1 & 2 and they work fine. If I enable Midi ports 1, 2, & 3 for both record and playback and then start playing a song, the Midi Port 2 eventually starts sending Program Change 7 messages to ch 2 and repeats this forever. Only way to stop this is POR the board. Suspect issue is due to floating input into the CPU. Funny thing is that the repeated output doesn't happen to Midi port 1. The problem can also be caused by enabling the play & rec for the DI/O port.

I tried enabling the MSD mode but had nothing but problems. Even worse issues than before and locked up the PC's USB task and couldn't even shut the PC down normally. But this doesn't seem to be related to the USB 4 port issue does it.

Pete

I loaded the midio128_v3_011_pre6 software but only tested it using the Midi player. Its working fine with windows 7 and all 4 USB ports. I went into the .MID panel and noticed for the first time that the encoder knob had more options added to it. Also surprised that the PORT field has completely separate entries for enabling play and record modes for all of the ports like you had discussed in previous posts.

Yes - this handling needs proper documentation - it was the most simple way to provide separate configuration flags for all ports.

Tested playback on all 4 USB ports and Midi Ports 1 & 2 and they work fine. If I enable Midi ports 1, 2, & 3 for both record and playback and then start playing a song, the Midi Port 2 eventually starts sending Program Change 7 messages to ch 2 and repeats this forever. Only way to stop this is POR the board. Suspect issue is due to floating input into the CPU. Funny thing is that the repeated output doesn't happen to Midi port 1. The problem can also be caused by enabling the play & rec for the DI/O port.

It seems that I should add a loopback detection, but I'm unsure if this will really help.

E.g. if transfers are stopped and you missed the message, that a loopback has been detected (which could also happen if the detection algorithm is not good enough to identify a *real* loopback), the behaviour could be confusing as well.

I tried enabling the MSD mode but had nothing but problems. Even worse issues than before and locked up the PC's USB task and couldn't even shut the PC down normally. But this doesn't seem to be related to the USB 4 port issue does it.

Please ignore MSD mode, it works only properly without such issues under MacOS.

Once MIOS Studio 2.4 has been released, accessing the SD Card via MIDI will be the prefered choice anyhow. :)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

In order to get a stable baseline before doing additional changes, I released Bootloader V1.010 and MIDIO128 V1.011 today!

Marton's request to optionally invert matrix buttons made it into this versions, some others are postponed.

Following updates can be expected in the next days:

• update of the MIDIO128 documentation to cover new features, and also the changed workflow with the MIOS Filebrowser which is part of MIOS Studio 2.4.0
  • optional, second 2x40 LCD to display additional MIDI file informations (including volume bars to visualize the channel activity) + lyrics
  • option to transpose notes played from the MIDI file

Do we still need the additional buttons?

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Do we still need the additional buttons?

The latest pre-version I've been using/testing is pre4, and button-wise it's completely sufficient for me. So, as far as I'm concerned, there's no need for extra buttons. I'm thankful for all the new features this far and just looking forward (fast forward :-) to the transpose function :-)

Hi,

Thank you for this change!

But there should be an error with the code now.

I uploaded the new bootloader and MIDIO 128. With MIOS studio the first scan of the midi ports is successful, I can see the new version of MIDIO128, but if I press the Query button, it can't reach the core. I tried to upload the Bootloader again, but the was a Timeout. And it happens always.

I installed a new driver for MIDIO128, but did not help.

Do you have any idea, what is happening?

Thanks!

Marton

Hi Thorsten,

I installed the driver again and it is working now. At least the Studio can see the Core. Maybe the first installation was corrupted...

But I have now again problem, with the SD card. I activate the MSD function, but I cannot reach the card. When MSD is off, I can see that No FAT. It was working with the previous version. And also I cannot format this.

Sorry for disturbing you these things...

Marton

Hi Marton,

I haven't changed anything on the MSD driver, but we know from history hat it never worked properly under Windows.

It could be, that now we've an additional conflict with the GM5 driver, which "confuses" Windows a bit...

There are some workarounds:

1) if the SD Card is removable, use a normal SD Card reader if you have any. Today they are built into PCs/Laptops, or external reads are mostly available for less than 10 EUR (like this one)

2) actually you would only need a SD Card reader for formatting a SD Card (or transfers of a large bulk of data).

With a bit of luck, your core module won't be detected as a GM5 device when you plug it into a different USB socket. In this case, you could probably activate the MSD function without this GM5 driver conflict

3) uninstall the GM5 driver, reconnect the USB cable, use MSD function, unmount device, reconnect USB cable again, install GM5 driver.

I know that these are very cumbersome procedures... on the other hand I think that the MSD feature is already a bonus which is nice if it works, but no drama if there are issues because there are cheap alternative solutions.

Please also note, that once the SD Card has been formatted, you can access files via MIDI by using the new MIOS Filebrowser:

Therefore the described workarounds only have to be applied once.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

But I have now again problem, with the SD card.

I reported this very problem a few releases ago. Thorsten responded a 2nd time in post #54 that this is a problem with Windows only and that he was going to add file Xfer to Mios Studio in another release and to ignore this issue for now. I accept this answer but it would still be nice if it worked with my Windows 7 PC. I just tested it on my XP unit and it also fails. Just hoping.

BTW-I was having issues with this before the GM5 driver was installed.

Edited by kpete

Hi Thorsten,

Yesterday I tested successfully the MIDI128 v3 with two button (optocoupler) matrix - with the INVERTED_DIN option. It was working fine. Many thanks for helping me, and implementing this feature.

Anyway I can reach the SD card in MSD mode, I can read the content, but when I try to save my changes in config file, it freezes the process. My system is Win7 64bit, and I think the GM5 driver causes this problem.

But anyway it is working fine now, so thanks a lot!!!

Best regards,

Marton

For the case that anybody wants to try MSD again (although the usage is more or less expired), here the next try:

-> http://www.ucapps.de/mios32/midio128_v3_012_pre1.zip

ChangeLog:

MIDIO128 V3.012_pre1
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

o USB MSD driver: changed endpoint to avoid conflict with MIDI driver.
Note that it's still not possible to use MSD and MIDI in parallel,
but Windows and MacOS should accept the connection (again).

o the .MID menu got a subhierarchy to improve the oversight: Play and Ports
[/code]

The second topic will help to add more configuration options in additional subhierarchies without loosing the oversight.

Best Regards, Thorsten.