Integrated MIDI Interface

Roark

Hi all,

I'm thinking about attempting to build a dedicated DAW PC, similar in concept to Seelake's AudioStation. I've got all the PC hardware already, but I want to integrate a MIDI interface into a rack-mount case with the PC, connected directly to a USB header on the motherboard.

I've got a few JV-1080s, who's primary mode of communication is SysEx, so I need to be able to push a lot of data and they each need their own IN/OUT.

I was thinking about using the LPC17 core and a string of four IIC modules on J4A, giving me a 6x6 I/O.

While reading the core's page, I saw that J4B can also be configured for more MIDI I/O, but I think I'm still a little unclear.

I do get that you can get one more I/O out of J4B/J5B. What I want to confirm is that I can't connect another string of four IIC modules to J4B, correct?

If so, the maximum I/O capability is 7x7?

Just want to confirm this before I start buying and building.

Moving on from that, what do you think about this project as a whole? Any advice, warnings, input?

For now, my gear needing MIDI:

3x JV-1080

x0xb0x

sammichSID

MPC1000

Might possibly get a Nord Rack soon. :smile:

Edited by Roark

Or... You follow the link in my signature field and enter the contest of a case design for the gm5x5x5. There is still very few submitted designs so you can be lucky and win yourself a couple of those boards and the components to go with it.

I think we can safely conclude that since there is so little interest to this great competition, that a design where the interfaces are integrated in a rackmount pc can also enter the compo! Please submit your plans in the thread, would be cool to see more people submitting their design!

Even if u don't plan to use it in the end, any design is very welcome!

Have fun!

Or... You follow the link in my signature field and enter the contest of a case design for the gm5x5x5. There is still very few submitted designs so you can be lucky and win yourself a couple of those boards and the components to go with it.

I think we can safely conclude that since there is so little interest to this great competition, that a design where the interfaces are integrated in a rackmount pc can also enter the compo! Please submit your plans in the thread, would be cool to see more people submitting their design!

Even if u don't plan to use it in the end, any design is very welcome!

Have fun!

Fantastic! I'll work some mockups and submit them. :D

Just posted my idea to the thread. :ahappy:

So, in case that doesn't happen, I've been looking into alternatives.

Since the Ploytec chip isn't easy to come by outside of a group buy, I found the unbranded Ploytec chip on Mouser (Atmel AT90USB162-16AU).

This shouldn't be too hard to put on an SMD prototyping board then wire in breadboard.

Only thing that would put a damper in that would be if Ploytec did something special with the chip.

I would suppose that Ploytec know how to protect their chip from simply being copied. And I do not think that any activity targeted at copying their chip should be supported or discussed in this forum. I rather suggest they deserve to be treated in a friendly and respectful way, as they have been very friendly towards us.

• Like 1

Like... program it? :devil:

LOL :frantics: I get that.

Is it programmed with an MB application, or some propritary firmware from Ploytec?

I full support going through them, I would just like there to more options outside Ployetc, since they make it difficult to purchase on an indiviual basis.

[Edit] The unburned chips run about 4 USD, but I would glady pay 10 or 15 a chip if they would make that available.

Hehe ilmenator.

Roark, if u don't get to be the lucky one, talk to nils - he might have spares for sale after the last bulk order :). I don't know, but it's worth a shot, no? ;)

I looked through the bulk order threads and he said he had two extras, but those are for people who screwed up theirs in the past order.

I would suppose that Ploytec know how to protect their chip from simply being copied. And I do not think that any activity targeted at copying their chip should be supported or discussed in this forum. I rather suggest they deserve to be treated in a friendly and respectful way, as they have been very friendly towards us.

Agreed. I won't comment on the matter anymore. :hmm:

Edited by Roark