Hyper Songbook - extended midi file player

EsotericLabs

Hello,

I'm planning to work on an extended midi file player - tentatively called Hyper Songbook. I'm not completely unexperienced any more, but still kind of new.. If the idea belongs to another forum, please move it. I'll add my progress (if any) and look forward to reading ideas and suggestions that come up!

The basic hardware setup is an LPC17 core with an LCD, the standard control surface and an SDCard. Then a waveblaster daughterboard (a DB60XG clone for instance..) and -as I came to understand- also the midi level shifters or output buffers. There's a thread on wavetable daughterboards and especially the DB60XG (or its NEC XR385 OEM version) and The hardware may eventually evolve to add audio in, an onboard mixer with dpot control and relay switching.

The basic software setup is of course TK's midi file player tutorial #019 and the standard control surface tutorial #027: an excellent starting point. I want to upload midi files thru USB, so in comes the code in msic/usb_mass_storage_device. The built-in xr385 will be the standard playback device, so I'll need to code for its numerous modes and effects. I have a keyboard and an Axon midi guitar converter (that's a pretty amazing machine..), so I want to hook up this gear, both for controlling playback and for playing along. I'll need more dedicated code for controlling them as well. I might even buy a Behringer FCB1010 foot controller for playback control. Most probably, playback control (start/stop/pause, next/previous song, tempo changes etc) wll be handled by CC's or the dedicated messages like song select.

The playalong feature will add lots of fun. Why not include an arpeggiator, force to scale mode and / or sample triggering? All the sofware is there, written by TK and you guys'n'gals and hopefully I can manage to patch it up together and add the remaining bits.

Where am I now: the basic hardware setup is working with the file player and the standard control surface tutorials glued together.

Edited by Martijn

Correctly moved: much of what I want (and much much more) is covered in the MIDIO128v3. Thanks to Sparx for pointing me there. There is no such thing as reading just enough on ucapps an the forums, there is always more great information to be found. I am already rethinking the software strategy.