Midibox Link - Optocoupler question

Rio

Hi,

I have read all about chaining multiple MIDIboxes (via J11) and how I should configure the modules as MIDIbox Link Forwarding and Endpoint. Everything is well documentated here ;).

I want connect 2 PIC18F452 together, because the second core needs also some MIDI Messages, which are generated from the first core.

Some things should be a little bit clearer for me:

Is it allowed to stuff the linked core also with his own optocoupler, so that the linked core can also receive messages from his own MIDI-IN port?

Is the first core able to send data through its own MIDI-OUT out as well (so that it routes all events to his own midi-out and to the linked core2 the same time)?

I'm afraid, because somewhere in a documents/schematics I have found a note: "Optocoupler NOT stuffed!" for thatt linked core.

Thanks and greets,

rio

Edited by Rio

Hi,

Is it allowed to stuff the linked core also with his own optocoupler, so that the linked core can also receive messages from his own MIDI-IN port?

No, because MIDI has no collision control, and also no handshaking protocol to ensure that MIDI events don't get lost.

So - it doesn't make much sense... and therefore you actually would need a MIDI merger if you want to handle such a setup properly.

Is the first core able to send data through its own MIDI-OUT out as well (so that it routes all events to his own midi-out and to the linked core2 the same time)?

I'm not sure if I understood the question correctly....

The first core has only a single MIDI OUT. As a forwarding point it will send incoming data, but also it's own generated data to the MIDI OUT.

I'm afraid, because somewhere in a documents/schematics I have found a note: "Optocoupler NOT stuffed!" for thatt linked core.

The optocoupler is not stuffed to avoid a short circuit under certain circumstances.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

I'm not sure if I understood the question correctly....

The first core has only a single MIDI OUT. As a forwarding point it will send incoming data, but also it's own generated data to the MIDI OUT.

That is correct. Maybe i don't formulate the question correct:

You say it is allowed to stuff the first core with an optocoupler. So, will the first core send data forward to the midi-out port and also to the linked second core (J11) at the same time? So that it works like a router to the linked core, but that i can also get data out of the first core's midi-out?

greets, rio

You say it is allowed to stuff the first core with an optocoupler. So, will the first core send data forward to the midi-out port and also to the linked second core (J11) at the same time? So that it works like a router to the linked core, but that i can also get data out of the first core's midi-out?

Yes - that's the purpose of the integrated MIDI merger.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

thank you for all that information, that was very helpful :)

EDIT:

last thing, not sure, if it is a bit out of focus:

From an electrotechnical view: Is it allowed to feeding an external MIDI-Device with J12 MIDI-OUT PORT from core1, while core1 is also linked to core2 with J11 or could that setup surge core1? Or do I need an extra LTC-Module for that purpose?

have nice holidays, greets rio

Edited by Rio