sammichSID not saving MIDI patch changes?

Academic Planner

Hello all.

I recently built a sammichSID and uploaded patches with great success. I now finally have time to edit patches of my own, but I'm running into several issues.

I'm using a Guru script for Renoise that I found here:

It works great and I'm able to change patch values with ease using an external MIDI controller. Everything is up and working properly on that side of things.

However I am not able to actually save these changes on the sammichSID for the life of me. If I create a patch in Guru and I go to save "direct" on the sammichSID it will save whatever was there before the adjustments were made in Guru (if it was originally a blank patch it will save silence, etc etc). If I use "edit mode" on the sammichSID (Shift+down arrow) there is no saved change at all. The only way I can save adjustments to a patch is if I manually navigate and edit the patch by using the one knob on the front panel. :D

Did I miss something in the manual about a particular setting? I've also tried the Ctlr editor with extremely buggy behavior, so this isn't the best option for me.

Has anyone run into this?

Edited by Academic Planner

Ok, so I just went back and reread the MIDIbox SID V2 CC Implementation Chart text and saw this bit:

"CC changes are non-destructive and won't affect the edit buffer.

This isn't a bug, but a feature!
Means: your edits on the Control Surface won't be overwritten by
incoming CCs, but as an effect they won't be displayed on the LCD,
and you won't be able to store changes made via CC as a new patch."

So there is absolutely no way to save the changes made by a CC to a patch? Would I have to code my own sammichSID Guru script using NRPNs?

:cool:

Edited by Academic Planner

No, there is no way.

Non-destructive CC (and NRPN) changes have been requested by multiple people in the past - and MBSID V2 is designed to cover these requests (it was a lot of effort!)

Only SysEx messages will allow you to address the patch buffer directly.

They can be sent from various MBSID editors.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

• 2 years later...

I really like the simplicity of the NRPN streams, it would be cool if there was somehow a switch to make it edit into the buffer directly. I would love to edit it with the Bitstream 3x, but I can't make SysEx work correctly. I realized it couldn't send 12 bit values with MIDI, the way it's packed. I can sort of make the filter work by neglecting the smallest nibble, but I can only make it go up to 7F, so half the filter is open.

Edited by missingsense

Well, by changing SID_PATCH_BUFFER_SHADOW to SID_PATCH_BUFFER (at many places in sid_parin.inc and sid_parout.inc) values would be written (and read from) edit buffer instead of the shadow buffer, but this will also result into destructive write operations from the WT sequencer and some other functions.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hm... it's too long ago where I worked on this code (9 years ago!)

Could you please check if the NRPN based value change will be displayed on the LCD in the corresponding page?

Then I've a simple explanation: the value will be written into the edit buffer, but won't be transferred into the shadow buffer which is used by the sound engine

Accordingly, it would be required to copy the value into the edit and shadow buffer (and not only in one of these buffers).

Best Regards, Thorsten.