SEQ V4 and V4L

blingy

My SEQ v4 is complete except for finishing the case and the possibilities are overwhelming and endless. I have a couple of questions coming from use:

-What is the best way, or is there a way to move existing patterns from the v4l to the v4? Alternatively, it would be amazing if there were a way to dump an existing pattern from the v4l to the v4. I love using the v4l to build up a pattern but I was quickly running out tracks (which is why I built the V4!)

-I've been over the instructions a few times now, but I still do not really understand the purpose of the mixer map. It seems like a mix of the midi router and a track set up, but maybe abstracted a bit? I don't really get it. As an example, I currently have an Airbase99 on channel 10, and so far I've just been using a drum track preset to load the correct instrument mappings, but the line about 'the mixer map function behaves like a MIDI controller' has me intrigued since the interface on the Airbase is basically non-existent. Or is it intended to work like a controller for a digital mixer say (which would explain the volume and panorama but not the reason program changes are here).

-In the short term I'm using the v4 to replace some basic midi loop sequencing I was doing with ableton. The one thing I haven't yet figured out how to do with the seq is to send a program change along with a pattern. Basically I'm looking to keep the preset along with the pattern for several synths rather than change them on the synth itself. The mixer map program change does work, so maybe a better understanding of that is all I need.

-Lastly, and this is probably not an issue with the midibox actually, but I figured I would mention it: I use a novation remote zero to send sysex to my alpha juno. If I route that *through* the midibox using the midi router eventually the alpha juno gets overloaded and stops receiving midi altogether. If I have the remote zero is connected directly to the alpha juno this never happens. There is no reason really to route that sysex through the midibox, however I also use it to send CCs to various other synths which probably would need to be routed by the SEQ which is why I was doing that in the first place.

Anyway...What an absolutely incredible machine. Thank you to TK and the community. Within a week it has become the centerpiece of my little studio and does everything I could dream of and so much more. I'm looking forward to a lot of good times with this beast.

hi blingy,

-I've been over the instructions a few times now, but I still do not really understand the purpose of the mixer map. It seems like a mix of the midi router and a track set up, but maybe abstracted a bit? I don't really get it. As an example, I currently have an Airbase99 on channel 10, and so far I've just been using a drum track preset to load the correct instrument mappings, but the line about 'the mixer map function behaves like a MIDI controller' has me intrigued since the interface on the Airbase is basically non-existent. Or is it intended to work like a controller for a digital mixer say (which would explain the volume and panorama but not the reason program changes are here).

it is simple a MIDI Controller and e.g. therefor you are able to load the correct instrument mappings. You can send out your defined CC/Prog.Changes via dump to your defined Ports.

Best regards,

rio

Edited by Rio

Hi,

thanks for the compliments! :)

-What is the best way, or is there a way to move existing patterns from the v4l to the v4? Alternatively, it would be amazing if there were a way to dump an existing pattern from the v4l to the v4. I love using the v4l to build up a pattern but I was quickly running out tracks (which is why I built the V4!)

Just copy the subdirectories of the SESSIONS directory to the new SD Card (e.g. by using a SD Card reader)

Btw.: this way, you can also create backups of your sessions.

Pattern changes are working great from in the mixer map settings, but is there a way to dump the mixer map when I hit play?

Under Utility->Options->5 you will find the function "Dump a predefined Mixer Map on Pattern Changes", this would help at least for pattern changes. But I guess that it won't send when you press the Play button.

I could add this option to the next release.

-Lastly, and this is probably not an issue with the midibox actually, but I figured I would mention it: I use a novation remote zero to send sysex to my alpha juno. If I route that *through* the midibox using the midi router eventually the alpha juno gets overloaded and stops receiving midi altogether.

I've to check this at my side. I haven't stressed the MIDI router that much in the last months.

I'm mainly using it to upload firmwares to core modules which are connected to MIDI IN/OUT; this kind of bidirectional SysEx transfer is working without errors.

Hopefully I can reproduce this by sending some SysEx dumps to various synths.

Best Regards, Thorsten.