Another Acrylic Case for SEQ V4 but for WIlba aluminum frontpanel

MaG2k

Hi midiboxerbuilders, -modders and -programmers,

here i want to show you my version of a case for the SEQ V4. Because i didn't like the complete acrylic cases and because i allready had build the SEQ V4 Wilba controlpanel and allready had ordered the aluminum panel at Schäffer AG (Germany) i decided to create a very rugged acrylic case (only the side and buttom parts).

So as you can see in my uploaded pictures it looks realy nice and didn't cost to much...okay 5mm acrylic base material is more expensiv the 3mm but its also more solid. (costs for the 5mm acrylic parts: ~ 80€ +freight charge at "Formulor.de")

The back- and frontside engravings i filled up with paint myself by using a brush and paint it in coarse (dont let it stay/dry to long) and then using a good absorbing tissue to wipe the color out and to clean the color that is to much (on the non engraved area). you don't need any ethyl alcohol for it...dont use it becaus ethyl alcohol tends to micro fractures on lasercutted acrylic. Its enough to clean the paint with the tissue as long the color is liquid. As engraving-filling paint i used the "revell enemal" paints. They working great!

And here you can see the complete SEQ-V4 in its new housing! :-)

Okay i did the work months ago but now i had the time to post it to you!

Pay attention: the holes in the basepanel arn't in the lasercut-artwork because i didn't had the correct measurements of all the PCBs i used. But its the better way to drill the holes you need for your PCBs yourself. I used a custom made SD-card-reader-PCB and the Quad-Midi-I²C PCB from SmashTV so therefore i had to drill the holes myself...but as i said before...its no problem if you be carefull and don't push to much when you drill!

(If someone is interested in the in the artwork of my acrylic case (only the acrylic parts) post me a message and will send you the svg-file that you can modify it yourself in "inkscape" (its freeware) to your needs)

regards

MaG2k

Edited by MaG2k

hi kristal=

nearly the same rubberfeets i use for those acrylic cases!

But much easyer to get here in germany!

Try out this one from "Pollin.de" :

http://www.pollin.de/shop/dt/MjkxODU1OTk-/Fundgrube/Haushalt/Gummi_Geraetefuesse_3_Groessen_46_teilig.html

http://www.pollin.de/shop/dt/NjE3ODU1OTk-/Fundgrube/Haushalt/Gummi_Geraetefuesse.html

http://www.pollin.de/shop/dt/NTE3ODU1OTk-/Fundgrube/Haushalt/Gummi_Geraetefuesse.html

I had nearly the same problems like you because of the "Heidenreich-Case". I allready contacted Heidenreich but for only one case it is to much they want to have and i dont like to order more than i realy need...and on the top it is a little difficult to get all the components into the case and plane to the backpanel because of the design of that "Heidenreich"-case. Thatswhy i started to create my own one in acrylic but i realized that 5mm is much more rugged then in 3mm. I allready made acrylic cases for the GM5x5x5 PCB aswell as for fairlightiii's LRE8x2 encodermatrix PCB. The LRE8x2 case i made in 3mm and because of its size the 3mm material is a little less rugged...never let it fall down to the ground...it will definitely crack. I think that will happen to the 5mm version too but not that fast as on the 3mm and the 5mm case hapticly feels much better! :-)

regards

MaG2k

Edited by MaG2k

Well done!!! :)

How did you mount the frontpanel? It looks like it only lays on top, but isn't screwed with the side panels?

I would like to see this case as the official alternative solution to the Heidenreich case.

Since it can be ordered at Formulor, people are free to choose the material and color and to do customizations (especially on the backpanel).

Could you please start a new Wiki page and publish your .svg file (packed into a .zip) there?

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hello T.K.

thanx for your praise...but a little discribtion on how i mounted the panel. :-)

but befor that how is the case holding together...the first i have to say...its not that good and strong fitting like we know from wilba's sammichSID or sammichFM...i didnt have the money to make many tries till it is so good fittig that the parts holding together by themself. So i had a little help from a special acrylic glue named "acrifix 192". Its a glue which hardens under UV light and getting very very strong! I glued the sidepanels to the groundpanel so that the top-aluminum-panel fits correcly on the top and the frontpanel-PCB is fitting into the case. The mounting of the Front-Panel is very easy. I used on 6 (10mm) bolts that holds the frontpanel-PCB to the aluminum fronpanel some longer bolts (i have to look how long but i guess it was around 35mm) that reaches down to the bottom of the cases bottompanel...then it is easy...so the frontpanel is srewed to the bottom-panel with the help of long bolts in the inside...but i think i will make a video of it..its easier to understand.

For a wiki i must see how i have time but i think i can do it if you give me time for that.

I have to count the parts i needed (srews, bolts...and the lengths of it) and then i can try to post it into a wiki! :-)

Best regards

MaG2k