Encoder Replacement - damaged my tracking?

punkdISCO

Hi all

I decided to replace all my encoders as 5 or so were playing up (should have just replaced the duff ones!).  So, in 2 or 3 places I seem to have lifted the red tracking on the topside of the PCB:

Silly question but: does this matter?  Looking on the underside, I can see the tracking is all fine and this seems to be the tracking that goes off to ribbon connecters etc.  What is the red tracking on the topside of the PCB?  Do I need to repair it?

thanks for any replies.

Paul

UPDATE: the red topside tracking looks like it is Ground which is run to each of the 3 encoder pins.  So I guess the question is: will the encoders till work if one of the pin ground is missing but the others are intack?

Edited by punkdISCO

+1 - you´ll need to fix these...

To properly remove malfunctioning encoders, it is recommended to cut all three (or more) pins with wire cutters on the top side of the PCB, then heat the backside pins one by one with the soldering iron and use a desoldering pump from the frontside to suck through the pin and solder remains.

Many greets and good luck!

Peter

Edited by Hawkeye

To properly remove malfunctioning encoders, it is recommended to cut all three (or more) pins with wire cutters on the top side of the PCB, then heat the backside pins one by one with the soldering iron and use a desoldering pump from the frontside to suck through the pin and solder remains.

Hey Peter

Thanks for those instructions.  Wish I had known the correct process before I removed the encoders L  Hey ho, we live and learn..

Ta,

Paul

Thanks for the replies.  What I still don’t understand is:

• Some of the encoders only appear to have 2 pins doing anything (looking at the tracks on the underside).
  • Some encoders use all 3 pins
  • All the encoders seem to have a earthing track (looking on the topside) but, why do ALL the pins need to be earthed?  Would it have been okay to just earth the encoder once, maybe via the body?

Im asking this question as it helps me understand why I need to fix the 3 or so earthing track breaks Ive made.  My other approach is to just try it and see..

Im not very good at this stuff so appologies if these are dumb questions..

Thanks,

Paul

HI all - I repaired the tracking at weekend.  It was pretty easy.  I also installed all the new knobs so now have a fully working mb6582!

It never ceases to amaze me how good this thing sounds.  I have lots of high end synths (PEK / SunSyn / JP4 / Korg 800dv / etc etc) yet everything I turn on the MB, it just runs a mockery over my other stuff...

Definitely my desert island synth...

Paul