Swapping capacitors on the sammichSID

Dronepiper

I currently have a sammichSID that I purchased from someone.

It has two 6581 chips installed and one of them I suspect has a malfunctioning filter.

I have gone ahead and acquired a few 8581R5 chips with the intention of swapping them out with my old ones, but I understand that you also have to replace several capacitors in conjunction with changing the jumper configuration.

I have never soldered a thing in my life, but I have been getting very interested in learning.

I understand that the SID IC's are socketed and can be replaced without soldering/de-soldering.

My motivation to learn stems primarily from this problem, along with a couple of other studio items that I have needing new components.

Should I enlist someone else to replace these capacitors, or is it something that I may be able to handle with a tiny bit of practice?

I was planning on dropping a pretty penny on a Hakko de-soldering gun to make component removal easy. So the main challenge with be with soldering the new capacitors. Can I handle this as a complete newbie?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Edited by Dronepiper

Sure, soldering is no magic! There are plenty of instructional videos on Youtube and such, both for soldering and de-soldering.

If you only need to desolder a few components, a Hakko de-soldering station is probably overkill. Copper braid (also called de-soldering braid) in conjunction with a decent soldering iron will do the same job at a much lower price tag. However, my de-soldering station has turned out to be one of my better investments for this hobby...

With respect to soldering, if you can afford to: make sure that you buy a temperature controlled iron with a fine tip.

Guys I watched this speed video of someone assembling a sammichSID kit from beggining to end and I don't ever seem him ACTUALLY soldering the capacitors: @ 4:26

https://vimeo.com/10772850

Furthermore... The sammichSID build guide has a parts list on page 28. The table containing info on the capacitors states "Do not solder! Do not insert until after voltage checks!"

I am starting to suspect the I can somehow remove and replace these caps without soldering them at all..

You mean C1L, C1R, C2L, C2R

22nF (6582/8580) or 470pF (6581)

From the sammichSID Build Guide

8. Installing SIDs
When you install SIDs, you should first perform voltage checks to make sure you have the jumpers set
correctly and are supplying the sammichSID with a suitable power supply.
Refer to Jumper Configuration to set the jumpers to match your SIDs.
Jumper JP must be set correctly to suit the SID type. Jumper JBP must also have shunts if using 6581.
If using 6581, make sure you are using a regulated 12V power supply.
If using 8580 or 6582, a regulated 12V power supply is preferred but not essential.
Test voltage between pin 28 (top-right corner) and pin 14 (bottom-left corner) of each SID's IC socket.
For 6581, this must be exactly 12V.
For 8580 or 6582, this must be exactly 9V.
Power off the sammichSID!
Insert the SIDs.
Insert the correct capacitors to the left of each SID (6581 uses 470pF, 8580/6582 uses 22nF).
The 6 holes of the machine pin strips allow for two different pin spacings of capacitors (100mil/2.54mm
or 200mil/5.04mm). Thus, insert the capacitors in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th holes (100mil spacing) or 1st, 3rd,
4th and 6th holes (200mil spacing). You should cut the capacitor leads to about 3mm.
Refer to Parts List for identification of each type of capacitor.

The caps are inserted on machine pin strips, they won't get soldered.

For soldering/desoldering on the Sammich, a kit like this is sufficient: http://www.ebay.com/itm/SOLDERING-STATION-KIT-50W-HIGH-POWER-2-WICK-ALUM-SUCKER-SOLDER-/320959752622?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4abab129ae

If you want something more posh like a LCD display, check out: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-RadioShack-64-053-Digital-Soldering-Station-60-Watt-LCD-Display-Temp-Presets-/321423245764?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ad65181c4

Edited by kristal=

I am starting to suspect the I can somehow remove and replace these caps without soldering them at all..

Well you will only find out if you take a look at your PCB and see if those sockets are there, or if the capacitors are soldered... :smile:

They don't look soldered... how do you remove these capacitors? I'm afraid they will snap off...

It looks as though the jumper thing can be inserted facing wither horizontal side.. correct me if i'm wrong

Also.. how do I know which direction each sid should be inserted into the sockets? 

Edited by Dronepiper

They don't look soldered... how do you remove these capacitors?

Pull them.

Also.. how do I know which direction each sid should be inserted into the sockets?

From the sammichSID Build Guide (http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/lib/exe/fetch.php?media=projects:sammichSID_build_guide_v1_0.zip)

6. Installing ICs

ICs are manufactured with the leads spread out. Before inserting into IC sockets, you will need to bend

the leads so they fit. While holding the IC firmly, use your work surface to bend all leads simultaneously.

Do this a little bit at a time until it looks right, then check to see if it will line up with the middle of the

pins of the IC socket. It is important that all the pins are vertical and parallel, as insertion requires a good

deal of force and if any pins are not aligned correctly, they might bend or break.

Perform voltage tests before installing ICs the first time.

Always install ICs with the power disconnected.

Carefully check orientation of the IC. The notch on the IC must match the notch on the white outline

on the PCB (which should also match the notch on the IC socket, if you soldered that oriented

correctly).

I recommend installing the “Bankstick†ICs (IC6, IC7, IC8, IC9, IC10) and the SIDs (IC1L, IC1R)

after fully completing both PCBs, uploading MIDIbox SID firmware and having a fully working control

surface. This allows you to watch the formatting of the Banksticks by the MIDIbox SID firmware.

I would recommend downloading the guide and carefully reading it, you'll find (nearly) all answers there. You'll save time and even gain a better understanding of your Sammich by reading it. The Sammich is Midibox building 101, it won't get easier than this.

Good tutorial:

Edited by kristal=

Don't solder the caps, put them on machine pin strips and solder those. Sometimes SIDs get swapped, so will the caps. I use 1mm regular leaded solder wire & some flux.

https://secure.reichelt.de/Solder/LOeTZINN-100GR/3/index.html?&ACTION=3&LA=3&ARTICLE=30439&GROUPID=557

http://mouser.com/ProductDetail/Chip-Quik/SMD291ST2CC6/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMu5DWrlJ6mslLcdFTlRzVcMmRJTFM9hhsY%3d

Edited by kristal=

Great vid!  The previous owner soldered the caps????  The 'machine pin strips' get soldered to the board, and depending on use of SID chips installed you just insert the correct caps into the machine pin strips.  It's easy to remove/install the caps when so.

hope you get it fixed!!!

The caps are most definitely soldered through the holes where the machine strips should go. The person who built it didn't follow the instructions in the guide about that.

Now I have attempted to do a precision de-soldering job and it is progressing in a very sloppy manner sadly..

dmyx5z.jpg