Feature Request: Set ranges with controller

FantomXR

Hey TK,

I have another request. Now it has something to do with keyboards.

Now as MIDI learn works (but still needs to be tested on my side), this might be easy for you to implement:

By default a keyboard that features NG has a range of 0:127. Of course you could set split-zones by entering it into the NGC file. But it would also be nice to have either two knobs to control the range, one knob for the highest, one note for the lowest note, or to do it via MIDI-learn by pressing the key on the keyboard. Anyway: Except of working with a keyboard this could be a useful feature even with standard controllers... set ranges on the fly sounds like a nice add.

Do you think this would be possible?

In advantage to this the range could be forwarded to a tricky LED-matrix (one led per key) to show the actual setting. 

I don't know if it's hard to do. Just let me know what you think about it ;)

Thanks!
Chris

Hi Chris,

I remember that you requested this feature some time ago, and I implemented the "set_min" and "set_max" command for this purpose which can be executed from a .NGR script.

E.g. together with a conditional EVENT_KB (active when a dedicated button is pressed) you could execute a .NGR section which sets the min/max ranges based on the pressed key.

You've even the flexibility to set multiple split points this way...

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Oh... I'm sorry... really? 

Seems this was not in my head anymore! Thanks for remembering me!

BTW: do you see a simple chance to forward this value to LEDs? At the moment I think this could be pretty difficult and of course this function is just needed in conjunction with keyboard-use. I don't see any other usecase...

Next step: Creation of a test-surface to check all those nice features. 

Edited by FantomXR

LED control is not difficult, just cumbersome, because you've to write many if/else conditions ;-)

But I would propose that you go ahead with the cumbersome solution first, and once you are happy with the handling, we can discuss if an optimization makes sense.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

• 10 months later...

Today I tried a bit to work with it but I was not able to get any results.

I'm missing something.

I have my keyboard:

EVENT_KB id=1  type=NoteOn chn=1 key=any use_key_number=1 range=0:127 ports=100011000000

and I know that ranges can be set via a NGR script to a fixed number. But I have absolutely no idea how to set the range based on the key that is pressed because the set_min command requires a value after the ID... I overlook something. I might be able to get it working with a lot of if-commands in the NGR. Than I would add an if-command for every key... but I don't think that this is the right solution.
I also tried to work with the MidiLearn and LearnEvent metas... but I was also not able to get it working. Any tips? Show me the part that I overlook... :)

Edited by FantomXR

Try:

set_min AIN:1 KB:1

This will transfer the current value of KB:1 (the key number) to the min value of AIN:1

or use an encoder for this purpose - very similar:

set_min AIN:1 ENC:1

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Edited by TK.