Midibox Drum Sequencer

Navicat

Hello.

I am building a schematic for a drum sequencer that can be used to drum machines similar to 909 and 808.

I will share my schematic. It is not in final form.

There are :

1) Midi IN/OUT

2) 2x Analog Out based on AOUT_NG for 16 CV channels for Velocity control of each instrument for each Note.

3) Doutx8 with 16 Gates for trigger instruments and more 48 free pins for leds etc.

4) Dinx8 for button and rotary encoders.

In schematics you can see 16 rotary encoders right now. There are with switch option. Switch is used for the step sequencer and the encoder for the velocity control. I need to add one more encoder for instrument select and another one for Tempo control and maybe another one for Swing as MB808 has.

What more buttons and fuctions do i need?

I need of course Play,Stop,Pause and what more??

I need advices to make this project come true.

Is anybody here can help with programming this? It is very similar to MB909 project.

Check my schematics: http://www.docdroid.net/srwp/core.pdf.html

No cant help by program it, dont know how to built a drum-sequencer on Mios... in max msp yes... some counter, some arrays, some matrix, some sync (well this would be the hardest...) some storrage some interface (touchsreen) and its done

I also need a drumsequencer in the next time, but it would be built and programmed very pure-the ui will be 10-15" multitouch with OSC-Program on it, the hardware simply a mios core with ethernet, because my skills are not geek - and i need to be in sync i cant risk to overload such fundamental with to much stuff-that dont have much to do with something like a Trigger-Generator... these all additional features will be done by a other Device that is switched after the Sequencer, the Trigger-Matrix.

- so if you find some, or get knowledge, write all in a tread, maybe i can learn from it :shifty:

anyway here are some tips, from my grooveboxes and programs that i have programmed since 2008, the following features are for me a must, they do so much, and i do so less, so good for live :

good live features that i have programmed in all my stepsequencers... and finally also in a midibox based project (trigger-matrix - tekkstar:

Encoder for Velocity controller - for me: Velocity offset: in middle position=orginal velocity, turn left, all notes will be lowered by an amount, turn right all notes will be encreased by a amount (all are loud)

Random Trigger Kill Encoder/Poti: Change the ammount of "how possible is it that a velocity comes out of your sequencer" --- the best feature ever - make breaks by turning a Knob 90°!

2 or 3 or 4 Velocity Kill-Buttons: That Kill a range of Velocity -- exactly, it kills notes that are below Velo64, the other Velo90 the other velo127 >>> thin out your Drumset >>> straightn it!

Velocity Invert button: Loud will be not so loud, and not so loud very loud.... (all these Velocity Things are differ by turning your velocity Offset Encoder--- very much differencys....)

OverRoll: route all Sequencer-output data to all DOUT-Trigger-Modules

Individual Roll: Activate the roll on one Track, easiest solution: Overroll, better selution - the possibility to change what trigger will go to what Trigger output when you press the IndividualRoll-button >>> best to setup with a 8x8SID-Style Matrix, or over OSC with some tablet, or even with your Step-Sequencer Input (if you have enough rous) >>> the cheapest solution is maybe really a Touchdisplay with an microComputer with an OSC-touchscreen-Software on it....

Locost "See all Tracks"-Feature: Realised by a 8x16 LED Matrix over your Buttons (See Snare BD and all others...) -- a matrix is good for really much things like: deactivating some tracks from be-ing RandomKilled, or Overrolled, or invert... (Kick drum e.g.!) also very good to Route the different tracks of your sequncer to different Trigger outputs..., and so on.... i programmed a own app for this as i said the trigger matrix it is made to midipluged in after a drumsequencer... my pure programm-knowledge bring me to the point that i need a own lpc17 only for the trigger-matrix and all the features i explained...

If you connect in Additon/or future some Midi Synths, maybe its a good idea to implement some bankchange send...(just to dont forget when you definie the Patch-structure on your SD-Card...)

Edited by Phatline

The most simple solutions is to take a Beaglebone Black Board.. Load up Ubuntu or Android and send midi messages from Daw to this thing..

And this thing is in my plans but for now i wanna make a complete Midibox Sequencer.

Nice ideas for Velocity!

I think TK can give the answers for this :)

Best Regards, Tilemachos

Edited by Navicat

you are welcome..

what i also like is to change the the gatetime off all Gate-Outs by turning a Gate-Time-Offset-Knob --- it is a so nice live feature, to blow up the beat to maximum and visaversa get into short clicks...

but this will only work on grown up Drumsynthesizers (i programmed Maxmsp drumvoices with fully stuffed ADR for pitch and AMP) that can handle gate times... most of them old drumvoices are trigger only, and Decay is changed via Potentiometer which make it impossible to do that for all tracks @ once.

but maybe this is an idea: make a Master-Trigger-Gate-Track on your Device, on that that track you route all Trigger outputs (software side of course). now connect a ADR stage on the gate, and then connect the ADR to an AMP - the Amp is feedet with the sum of your drumset....

also > on the same manner do some Master LP-HP-Filtering

with all that you have not change the seqeunce so much... most of the time you will tweak this and that, and after 15minutes you realize you are still on the same rythm pattern

Edited by Phatline

Well Pots on Vintage drum synths can be changed with Digital pots.. There are in the market with 1024 resolution and is enough. ( i don't think you can take 1024 different steps on an analog pot by hand. ) Sound will be still analog and you will be able to change pot values from a Daw even made in Maxmsp.

But this is not what i ask in this topic.

I need ideas on what more buttons should i add like Play,Pause,Stop etc. and if someone can help me in programming this stuff. As i said is very similar to MB909.

Best Regards, Tilemachos

Edited by Navicat