Software help, cont.

Starspawn

Im a bit dumb when it comes to the programming part, so need some help here. 
Sorry if its covered elsewhere. 
I downloaded the newest software for LPC but on it theres no RTOS option, is that perhaps called something else now or only supported in older versions? 
pic attached

Also with the quad midi out, is it the exact same code on all PICs, and what should the fuse settings be? 

post-20519-0-25906300-1434896838_thumb.j

Edited by Starspawn

Hi,

I downloaded the newest software for LPC but on it theres no RTOS option, is that perhaps called something else now or only supported in older versions? 
pic attached

please follow the guidelines which can be found at this page: http://www.ucapps.de/mbhp_core_lpc17.html

Topic "Installing the MIOS32 Bootloader".

It recommends the usage of an older version, download link is in the guide.

Also with the quad midi out, is it the exact same code on all PICs

yes, the device address is selected with jumpers, so that exactly the same firmware can be flashed into the PICs.

See also http://www.ucapps.de/mbhp_iic_midi.html

Topic "Configuration and Interconnections"

what should the fuse settings be?

the fuse settings are embedded in the .hex file, your programming software should automatically take them.

Just to doublecheck: which fuse settings are displayed by the programmer when you are loading the .hex file?

Best Regards, Thorsten.

The configuration doesn't look correct.

From the source code:

__CONFIG    _CONFIG1, _CP_OFF & _CCP1_RB0 & _DEBUG_OFF & _WRT_PROTECT_OFF & _CPD_OFF & _LVP_OFF & _BODEN_ON & _MCLR_OFF & _PWRTE_OFF & _WDT_ON & _HS_OSC
        __CONFIG    _CONFIG2, _IESO_OFF & _FCMEN_OFF

required changes in your config flags:

• disable the LVP flag
  • enable the BOREN flag
  • disable the MCLRE flag
  • disable FOSC2
  • enable the WDTEN flag
  • enable FOSC1
  • disable FOSC0 (FOSC[2:0] is 010 for HS oscillator)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

So, I think I got all the hardware done correctly, was confident enough to turn on, put in J27 to hold state but .... 
Nothing. 
LPC17 did do the three quick fades so thought bootloader was ok, but maybe not?
Just copied wilba file directly to SD without any formating.  
Using just windows midi. 
(The 4 track group lights are also on off screen). 
Sooo, remove core (I used headers), put back other part and reflash? 

EDIT: I cant set MIOS32 as midi in the application? 
Windows 7 Pro, Mios Studio 2.4.6

post-20519-0-90792100-1435444156_thumb.j

Edited by Starspawn

Found the construction guide again, got so far as to send sdcard command, it did everything BUT give the last File /MBSEQ_HW.V4: valid
And now when I open Mios I get the SQv4 midiports, but NOT Mios so cant redo that step. 
(Edit: Holding bootloader works Doubleedit: Also just clicking around on the Seq midi ports and waiting a bit)
When connecting wilba display, transmitter and quad midi after I still get same display as in 1st picture. 
Bedtime now, but any tips much appreciated. 

Tried a few more times, I only get MBSEQ_HW.V4 doesnt exist or hasnt been reloaded

Version I downloaded and installed is V4.088, used LPC17 file and the wilba file in same main folder. 

Managed to get a valid, still nothing with panel connected. 

Edited by Starspawn

Think my SD card setup is flaky, I can get the displays to work IF I upload the .088 firmware AND get it to recognize the SD card file all in one session, but after closing MIOS and powering up Im back to square "not loading default or showing anything on screen". I can now get it to recognize the core over segv4 midi but that also takes a few tries. 
Ill get a new SD Card thing tomorrow and see if it helps. 

Or is there perhaps a save function Ive missed after installing and before closing Mios?

Edited by Starspawn

Are you working under Windows?

It sounds like the typical USB communication issue which occurs once an application (like MBSEQ) provides multiple MIDI IN/OUT ports.

This can either be solved with the "single_usb" option - see http://www.ucapps.de/mios32_bootstrap_newbies.html

Or with an alternative USB MIDI driver like GM5 - see bottom of this page: http://www.ucapps.de/mios_studio.html

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Thanks, will do :smile: But it does seem to install and work when Im installing, its the next startup that gives me nothing, so figured it might be SD card as its either slooow to find it or takes several tries. 
Now after installing driver I get hard fault at PC=0x000386c0 when using command sdcard 

Edited by Starspawn

Progress: After a new port and SD-Card it can finally be found quickly, but ... see picture. 
First time I tried it worked, on next startups (and installations) that. 
Card is formatted to Fat32 (from windows 7) and has only the wilba HW file on it. No name on root. 3.68 GB

Is that somehow wrong? post-20519-0-29655500-1435695103_thumb.j

Edit: Noticed 3.3V was down to 2V with backlight, turned that down, back to 3.4ish, now the error is gone, can find SD card quickly, but not file on it. 

Hmm, monitoring at J10 it seems like the lower voltage is not cured only by turning down display, but that it will be low under load (startup and LPC17 working). 
Ill try using a power only USB connection. 
Nope ... 
I either get no hw found if SD-Card is recognized, and if not the format error, once in a while it will work but not on restart. 
Is 4GB or 8GB to much? Ive tried both but have no smaller ones. 

EDIT another hour gone: If I install firmware, disconnect and connect sd card, go to browser instead of sending sdcard command and then edit and save the HW file ... it will be autoloaded, and on every try the sd card file will be read valid after. 
However it still resets at startup, and after reading someone elses problems Im currently trying to save a session, but either that takes more than 5 minutes or its hung up on that step. 

I can now create session if I not only open HW file as text but also as hex and save both again. 
However, if I disconnect power and start up again ... back to start. 
It does seem like the sequencer is working (all buttons, all leds, tempo led,play after starting session and so on), but it wont load on startup. 

Edited by Starspawn

Formating from MIOS doesnt seem to work? post-20519-0-78129500-1435705028_thumb.j

It does start after a while, but no formating actually happens even though it reports success. 
All files are still there, and uploading to SD card does not work from filebrowser either. 
I can reset the Seq from MIOS btw, and it will boot up correctly, but it will still give me nothing on unplugging and plugging in power, with same fat error for sd-card. 

Edited by Starspawn

Some progress, after using a smaller card (2GB) formatting from MIOS and getting over HW file with filebrowser, I can get it to recognize the SD card without error so it loads a session whenever I reset from MIOS and no more Fat nonsense (well sometimes). 
But ... if I reset with power off/on there is nothing on the displays. 
It DOES start my session (Most of the time ... I can then press play, see things work by the leds and so on) ... but no display until I reset with MIOS. 

EDIT THE MANY: It also sometimes work WITHOUT MIOS, if I turn it on, almost instantly remove SD-Card, then insert it again when display shows searching for SD card. 

Is it possible to delay the SD-Card check? 

But not practical ofc, I think Im at the end of what I can troubleshoot myself now. 
If it matters Ive only jumpered J17 (for usb power, or actually thats a switch now), J15 (as 5V) and J4A is connected. 
So nothing on J18 or 26 which I dont know what does. 

Oh and it might matter that the board is LPC17 V1.0 , must be two years+ since I first ordered it now ( a year inbetween was waiting for CS pcb, rest being scared of it). 
Green one though, not red needing fix. 

Any other builds/betas than 0.88 I should try? 

Edited by Starspawn

The firmware is quite stable, it can't cause such effects, resp. it works for many other users.

Could it be a power supply issue?

Maybe your USB based PSU is too weak for the MBSEQ?

I recommend the usage of an externally powered USB hub.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Well, I use an external one already at 2.5A 5V so should be well over needed, but I agree it might be a power supply issue after all. 
As I wrote there seems to be a drop in voltage on power up, and as it works when its been on, gotten contact with MIOS and is reset its just on startup/power on its a problem. 
Reading a bit elsewhere here I saw a discussion regarding displays (running 2 on lpc17) where that person had problems with 2 displays until you delayed the display something?
I couldnt download those files and try myself. 
Also Im using 5V displays but the 74HC595 as it was easier to get at the time (which the other guy also did). 
Ill order the 74HCT595 and see if it helps, and also see if I can measure more presisely the voltages at startup, but if you still have the file with display delay I could try that as well? 

Thanks 
David

Edited by Starspawn

Well, I use an external one already at 2.5A 5V so should be well over needed

yes, this is more than enough

Reading a bit elsewhere here I saw a discussion regarding displays (running 2 on lpc17) where that person had problems with 2 displays until you delayed the display something?

this was an issue many many years ago, it's solved and confirmed by many many people.

I couldnt download those files and try myself. 

check the date of postings first before starting such experiments, because you don't know the dependencies under certain circumstances it could screw up the installation (e.g. SD Card config files, USB driver interaction with Windows, etc)

Use the current firmware, other versions won't help to find the issue and could cause new issues.

Also Im using 5V displays but the 74HC595 as it was easier to get at the time (which the other guy also did). 

A 74HC595 has to be used, the 74HCT595 won't work reliable, confirmed by some users that 74HC595 is the better choice.

That's the reason why you find this chip in the schematic: http://www.ucapps.de/mbhp/mbhp_core_lpc17.pdf

but if you still have the file with display delay I could try that as well? 

(just to repeat:) the change is already in the firmware since some years.

It could make sense to check your hardware if certain devices are removed.

E.g. did you already remove the MBHP_IIC_MIDI modules from J4A?

If they are faulty and cause a short circuit after power-on, similar behaviour could be observed...

And what happens if only a single LCD is connected?

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Its definetly the power on voltage thats bad.
Going in from cold it will start at 2.2ish, then slowly increase (lets say 15-20 seconds) until it jumps to 3.5V, If I power on and off quickly from there it will start up correctly. 
Could the rectifier thing be bad? Other options? 

I had this from the smashTV kit: 
http://au.rs-online.com/web/p/bridge-rectifiers/6296011/
While schematic has this: 
http://www2.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Vishay-Semiconductors/B40C800G-E4-51/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtQ8nqTKtFS%2fMRt2%2f0z7Bct7SXSkGPtfVQ%3d

post-20519-0-56051200-1436128873_thumb.j

Edited by Starspawn

The slow power ramp-up is very unusual, actually the 3.3V should be available immediately (less than 1 second) - of course, this is the answer for strange firmware effects, but a firmware change won't help to fix this problem!

The rectifier can't cause such an effect, it's more likely a problem with your external PSU.

Could you please try a different USB hub?

Or alternatively power the core directly from a 7..10V PSU via J1 (remove the J17 jumper for this option)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Its the same if I power from a USB charger at least, Ill add a 9V connection tomorrow. 
Also tried reflowing everything in power section with no luck. 
Just since the diagram doesnt say, and USB works so I figure its no problem ... but what are the 4 close connections under the USB, and should they be completely isolated? 
I just noticed they were so close that I wouldnt see if a trace connected any of them. 

EDIT: 5V is up on J2 almost instantly

So Ill change the LF33, and its 2 caps, and hope that solves it. 
Thanks for steering ;) 

Edited by Starspawn

Just since the diagram doesnt say, and USB works so I figure its no problem ... but what are the 4 close connections under the USB, and should they be completely isolated? 

This is 5V, Ground, D+ and D- (protocol lines)

If 5V isn't properly connected to the appr. USB pin, then a similar effect could happen as well; core will be supplied via D+ in this case, but it's only a "weak" power path.

So: check especially the USB pin connected via J17 jumper to 5V!

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Solved .. and in my defense it was almost the first PCB I soldered a couple years ago ... the regulators were switched. 
Desoldered the 33, clipped and changed the 7805, swapped, and confirmed working, now to dive into it properly. 

:smile: 

Definetly owe you beers ... 

Edited by Starspawn