Midi to CV/GATE

Navicat

Hello

What i need is let's say simple.

I am building a new TR-808 clone. I need midi control for my clone.

Can midibox help me to build?

I need a module with :

• Midi In/OUT
  • 16 CV Outputs (+5...+15V) for Velocity.
  • 16 Gate Outputs (+5V) for Trigger.

I need 16 pairs of CV/GATE for the 16 instruments of my drum machine.

I did a lot of work on my Drum machine and i cant find a way to make it work as i need!!

Plz Help me i am really desperate.

• 16 CV Outputs (+5...+15V) for Velocity.

Are you sure your 808 clone accepts +5 to +15V CV for velocity? That is a weird CV range. Usually its 0 to 5 or 10V, or -5V to +5V in the modular synth world. FYI the last 808 circuits I played with (more than 5 years ago, so I may not remember correctly!) had an accent in, which changed volume to a louder sound. But that was just a different trigger in basically, not a continuous CV control. Which 808 clone are you using? Have you asked the people who made that clone how the CV in works?

As standard an AOUT usually provides 0-10V range in the CV output. There is a balanced out expansion, which gives you -5V to + 5V. The AOUTNG includes the circuitry for balanced out already i.e. it can do 0-10V and -5v to +5v. Either way, you could use some opamps to change the range of CV to your +5V to +15V if necessary. If you think about it, it's just +5V offset from the AOUT's 0-10V.

• 16 Gate Outputs (+5V) for Trigger.

16 gates will require a DOUT2, it's 8 gate outs per chip. J5 on the CORE8 as mentioned only provides 8 gates. Both provide +5V gates and I've triggers lots of modular stuff with Midibox, no problem. Have you done a basic multimeter test to ensure that you actually get a +5V trigger from your Midibox when you send it the correct MIDI note?

I did a lot of work on my Drum machine and i cant find a way to make it work as i need!!

Plz Help me i am really desperate.

What did you try already? How was a Midibox involved? How did it not work? That information would help people to understand the problem :)

2*Core8 running MBCV. 2*AOUT_NG for 16 CV. 5V gates come from Core J5 I think.

MIDI out1 to MIDI in2. Should be able to set up a MIDI merge.

That's sound good Latigid. Thank you!! What about Midibox_NG? In webpage says that can handle 4 AOUTNG and DOUT also.. Is this usable for me??

Are you sure your 808 clone accepts +5 to +15V CV for velocity? That is a weird CV range. Usually its 0 to 5 or 10V, or -5V to +5V in the modular synth world. FYI the last 808 circuits I played with (more than 5 years ago, so I may not remember correctly!) had an accent in, which changed volume to a louder sound. But that was just a different trigger in basically, not a continuous CV control. Which 808 clone are you using? Have you asked the people who made that clone how the CV in works?

As standard an AOUT usually provides 0-10V range in the CV output. There is a balanced out expansion, which gives you -5V to + 5V. The AOUTNG includes the circuitry for balanced out already i.e. it can do 0-10V and -5v to +5v. Either way, you could use some opamps to change the range of CV to your +5V to +15V if necessary. If you think about it, it's just +5V offset from the AOUT's 0-10V.

16 gates will require a DOUT2, it's 8 gate outs per chip. J5 on the CORE8 as mentioned only provides 8 gates. Both provide +5V gates and I've triggers lots of modular stuff with Midibox, no problem. Have you done a basic multimeter test to ensure that you actually get a +5V trigger from your Midibox when you send it the correct MIDI note?

What did you try already? How was a Midibox involved? How did it not work? That information would help people to understand the problem :)

Hello my Friend monokinetic. The 808 clone that i talk about is made by me.

It has 16 instruments instead of 11 that original 808 has. There will be a lot of modification based on microlarge and my designs.

Let's talk now about how an 808 instrument gives us sound.

There are 2 pins on each sound circuit :

• Trigger : This takes a +5V 1ms pulse and it is let's say a hit on drums. In midi this is said Note On/Off
  • Accent : This takes a pulse or a continuous voltage(no matter what) from +5v for Velocity=1 and +15V for Velocity=127. In midi this is Velocity and let's say for this it is how hard you hit the drums.

Aout can handle 15v but even if let's say it can't i can make a circuit that accepts any voltage i want.

Edited by Navicat