Naming USB-Ports

FantomXR

You can change that in the source file "mios32_config.h", look for MIOS32_USB_PRODUCT_STR.

It does not help the usb port enumeration problem under windows, though. Once multiple MIDIboxes are attached, they might get the same name or you cannot address them properly. Someone with windows know-how would need to step in and fix that problem...

Many greets,
Peter

Hi there,

that is good news, i will try it out soon!

You should be able to rename the base USB portname by changing the MIOS32_USB_PRODUCT_STR variable, changing the individual port numbers might be possible as well, but that would need further investigation - for example, the final individual port names might be constructed in a"for loop" using the PRODUCT_STR as a base and an index counter as a suffix, you could have a look at mios32_usb.c, no guarantees that it will work, though. If you need fewer or more virtual USB ports, you can change MIOS32_USB_MIDI_NUM_PORTS.

Many greets,
Peter

2 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

If you need fewer or more virtual USB ports, you can change MIOS32_USB_MIDI_NUM_PORTS.

Many greets,
Peter

Yes, I know. But you have to adjust not only the MIOS32_USB_MIDI_NUM_PORTS. You also have to edit the midi_port.c in the midi_router-folder. Otherwise the terminal will give you error messages about invalid output and input ports if you try to use the midibox-router.

Thanks for the hint... I'll have a look.

It isn't required to change the MIOS32_USB_PRODUCT_STR

Just change the name with the bootloader as documented here: http://www.ucapps.de/mios32_bootstrap_newbies.html
Search for "set name"
Once defined, the customized name will be taken instead of the default name defined with MIOS32_USB_PRODUCT_STR

It isn't possible to give each port an individual name, the USB MIDI spec doesn't define this as a use case, hence USB MIDI drivers won't support this.
In addition, I never saw a commercial device which uses these standard drivers and supports this.

However, under MacOS it's possible to change the port names in the MIDI Configuration, and most MIDI applications (incl. MIOS Studio) support this.
Maybe Windows provides similar mechanisms?

Best Regards, Thorsten.