Narwhal

Wilba MBSeq V4 Front Panel Spacer Brackets

5 posts in this topic

A couple of days before the midiphy SEQ was announced here I started working on building my Wilba panel sequencer unaware that things were about to change and get a lot cooler.  I had prototyped an acrylic front panel on an epilog laser cutter and was thinking about ways to attach the panel to the control board.  I considered using metal spacers but have never really had luck with gluing metal to acrylic, so I though maybe use abs and use the Makerbot to print some spacers?  In the past few days I've whipped up these spacers and they have turned out really nice.  I was able to build them so they support the LCDs at the perfect depth to the panel.  My next panel will probably not even have holes for the LCDs, I'll just outline the windows with an engraving.

I still need to build a bracket for around the main encoder, but there are a lot of little parts that I need to avoid around there so I left it as the last thing to do. 

I wanted to share the files for everyone because they seem to be quite useful so far.

The spacers are 1/4" depth and I use a 1/4" Acrylic panel.  I'll post a few more pictures later today.

5b6dd39267685_ScreenShot2018-08-10at10.4

wilba fp brackets.pdf

mbseq bracket L.stl

mbseq bracket M.stl

mbseq bracket R.stl

mbseq bracket M2.stl

Edited by Narwhal
Added encoder bracket M2

Here are some images of the brackets mounted.

Left side:

IMG_0833.thumb.JPG.921c5370a465924c2b710

Middle:

IMG_0829.thumb.JPG.079d2f6a7a2d301eb5557

Right side:

IMG_0831.thumb.JPG.a416471850af09fd8c346

1 person likes this

Nice idea! How do you plan on attaching the assembly to the panel? Still screws through the acrylic? Or can you weld the spacer to the panel and use a tapping screw thread?

The brackets will be glued to the panel.

The next panel test is going to be clear acrylic with a 1/16” black acrylic laminate glued on top.  I will attempt to engrave through just the black top piece to expose the clear underneath.  I’m hoping that I can put LEDs in that will allow the lettering to glow a bit, but my primary concern is for readability.

I may do a test with a white panel with black laminate on top if clear and black fails.

Edited by Narwhal

It looks like some of the socketed chips are sitting high enough that they are preventing the panel from touching all surfaces of the brackets.  It looks like the chips are sitting about 1/16th too high.  I can easily print some brackets a little taller, but since I'm laminating a 1/16 panel on top that would reduce the amount of available space for the buttons to raise up just proud of the face just enough to allow being pressed.

So that leaves either unsocketing the chips to lower them, or mill out shallow pockets in the panel so that the panel can sit flat on the brackets.  I  think I'm going to go with using the laser cutter to create engraved pockets for the chips, that seems pretty quick and easily repeatable.  Since I can't access the laser cutter today I may try printing some taller brackets and see where it stands.