Trouble with "Active Sensing" Midi event

doc

Great!

So sorry for all the trouble, till yesterday I was very sure that especially the MIDI Rx handler is 100% bugfree (ok, it was before MIOS V1.4 ;-)) and therefore assumed an hardware problem - such errors are very common when existing code will be extented after so long time and when no testsuite exists which covers all functions to ensure that they are behaving like before the changes.

Note: the final MIOS V1.5b is different from yours, please use the released binary to avoid confusion if anything should fail again

Best Regards, Thorsten.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you TK,

first of all let me say, that there is nothing for you to be sorry about.

This are 'hobby' projects for me (and the comunity) with no profit for you. So we have to thank you for your time to solve our problems in your spare time !!

Just a little question for the update with the new MIOS:

Just to get it right, I have to "pearl" the operating system four times with different id's for the four cores and load each one (in the first seconds after startup). After that I have to "pearl" the application with four IDs and load it.

Can I let the Cores all connected together or must I disconnect all cores and program them single ?

(I think not. Because of the different ID's - but I want to know it for sure...)

Thank you for your answer.

doc

TK: Good question, never tried out that! Anyhow, I´ll try the new MIOS. Sounds very likely to be some problem with my setup, too! I also had hanging notes at the beginning! And this also explains why I had to ground-cover the Master-Slave Midi Lines to get those working.

I´ll try it (in some weeks - still in the middle of my tests).

Besides: Same thing like doc said by me: No need for any excuses. In fact I´m kinda happy if a bug is found in MIOS from time to time, so we all can be sure, you´re still a human being.  ;)

And we are all DIYers, so even finding out those bugs makes fun (I would be sooo dammit hooray if that bugfix also works out well for me)!  8)

Greetz!

Hi Thorsten,

just wanted to join in the praise and also say that you have no reason to apologize. After all you did a working bug fix three days after the first report - try this with Microsoft  :P or in fact any other company which _should_ have an obligation to help users because of the money they earn in contrary to you :) so let me send a big

[glow=red,2,300]Hip Hip Hooray[/glow] and [glow=red,2,300]Thank you[/glow] to you :D

Doc et al:

Since in this thread I also asked about my fridge problem, here´s my solution: I studied the C64 PCB and found out that Commodore routed all 4 power wires through this "coil" thing (Drossel, dont know the correct english term). This part has four inputs and four outputs, inbetween there are about 5 loops around the ferrite for each line. I put this part between the power jack and the PSU Optimized board and guess what: not a single "fridge shutdown" of the SID so far :) I will try if it´s sufficient to put only the 9V AC through it cause I suspect this part could induce a bit of 50Hz hum to the 5V DC line, but at least the 14V seems to get a lot more stable as it is now.

Seppoman

Hi Seppoman,

I discovered the coil in the C64 also. This coil filters really several noise out of the line. I tested it with my Oszi. I think it's no problem to leave all 4 wires connexted. There should be no hum inducting to the 5V line, I think.

In fact, this coil is almost the same suggestion I made with the "big" AC-Filter.

I measured the coil with my inductivity-meter and get a value of 13µH for each coil. Not much, but it's enough.

Thats it ! - Learning by doing  ;D

Just loades the new Mios 1.5b on my SIDc. Works great !

One question left:

I have the master core stuffed with a display. One that I can see at startup that the new mios is loaded correctly(displays ...mios 1.5..). But how can I check the 3 slaves for they have loaded the new Mios correctly ? Is there a message in the midi-ox window where I can get this information from ?

(Don't wanna complain. It works - but this would be "nice to know")

Thanks for a answer

doc

Hi doc,

open the box (assuming that it is closed, mine is not...) and connect the display to the slave cores :)

anyway I think its not really important in this case cause if the Midi handler of the master works correctly like the old Midi merger now, you won´t get any errors on the slaves with the "old" version.

Seppoman

Hi Seppoman,

my box is closed (already). I don't want to open it again (only if I must!). The second problem is, that I don't have soldered the lcd pins on the slave cores (I even don't drill them !). 8)

Thats why I asked for a message on midi-ox. Not really for now but for future releases....

Do you think I have to make a lcd Connector on every slave ? - Then I have to drill again, put pots in,transistor, etc....

I hope not  :-/

doc

Do you have access to the MIDI Out of the slaves? Then you could use the CRC application to ensure that MIOS has been uploaded correctly, just add following lines to USER_Init:

movlw   0xf0
        call    MIOS_MIDI_TxBufferPut
        swapf   CRC_H, W
        andlw   0x0f
        movf    CRC_H, W
        andlw   0x0f
        swapf   CRC_L, W
        andlw   0x0f
        movf    CRC_L, W
        andlw   0x0f
        movlw   0xf7

and MIOS should return the CRC digits after startup (see also the download page - MIOS V1.5b returns: F0 06 0F 05 0D F7

Best Regards, Thorsten.

/edit: new version now available in the download section