will be building soon, need pointers

Guest mooter

Whatsup yall, nice to have found this as I am seriously thinking of making a few asap depending how well the 1st one goes.

I'm going to make a M64 that kind of mirrors the mixer in Orion, withat least 8 channels.  But,

1.Id like to have a switch that goes between Mute, Off, and Solo.  Can I just get a 10k 3 way switch, and each one will send a midi message?  So I can dj toggle between them, or at least between off and one of the others.

also,

2. I want at least 2 joysticks, xy controllers, but have room for 4, Im in the US any good leads?  I'm looking for mid-price.

3.I will be ordering core components from Smash.  Im not sure how essential the pic header is, and not sure how in depth I need to get (midi channels/#'s/cc's per switch?  that would be nice)

But I'm down for finding any prebuilt core components if anyone knows

4.  I'm thinking about sample/drum triggers (without velocity), but wouldnt they have to be a note?  unless the vsti will trigger via midi learn?

I appreciate the help

Thank you:)

moot

http://www.aaaim.com/cgi-local/shop991/shop.pl/SID=180022565817/page=results.htm

i found theese, i was told the resistance would work.

never ordered them b/c the catalog says 30.00 min order

otherwise they charge you 5.00 handling charge. if you order them some feedback please.

crap, that link doesn't work. search for joystick, it's the only one.

Hmm.....the pots are 40 & 46k, is there something to reduce them, is that what a resistor is?  I'll catch on quick I'm just not down with some of the little basics and names.

I also forgot to mention that I'd like to have the LEDs INSIDE of the button, if I can find clear or frosted caps, so they light up when I push them down (those will be my 2 fx inserts per channel.

Will a 3-way switch work for sending 3 midi messages? or just on/off.

Even though that page lacks some displays looks interesting.

Thanks again

I like that bicolor LEDs (#2404-590-0637B) 2 VDC input with red at 20 ma and green at 6.  that works, right?

i cna't answer all your questions, but....

Hmm.....the pots are 40 & 46k, is there something to reduce them, is that what a resistor is?

well a pot is a variable resistor.... as far as i understand you don't need to reduce the values. i was told by someone here that they used a joystick from an arcade game that was 50k and it worked out.

ah here it is see this thread

http://www.midibox.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=parts_q;action=display;num=1071517282

as for leds in the button, you can buy those but also you can put the led next to the button i think this is how Axel did his beautiful lc

http://www.midibox.org/midibox_gallery/axel19.jpg

the switches i don't know about.

oh, and it's not real clear wether the joystick is springy(returns to center) or stays were you put it. i would hope it stays put...

• 2 years later...

But I'm down for finding any prebuilt core components if anyone knows

Don't think that You'll find anyone with prebuilt components - It's a DIY project, and the only way you become self-supporting on the project (and a later resource to other MBers) is to assemble the thing yourself (which is honestly not very hard, and quite satisfying as well).

Look in the parts archive for parts suggestions. You'll find that the joysticks from PS2 joypads are quite nice ALPS equipment, and are easy to find and modify for controls.

1.Id like to have a switch that goes between Mute, Off, and Solo.  Can I just get a 10k 3 way switch, and each one will send a midi message?  So I can dj toggle between them, or at least between off and one of the others.

also,

what's the difference between mute and off?  ;)

there is no such thing as a 10k 3 way switch, a switch doesn't have a value it only goes on/off etc. (the 10k is the value we use for pot's; stands for 10 kilo ohm (ohm is unit of resistance))

you should just use push buttons (tact buttons for instance), like everyone uses here, later you can configure it to behave as a switch (press it once; mute-- press again; on) I think the easiest way is to make one button for mute/on, and an other one for solo.

the configuring of midichannels/ cc numbers assigning to sample triggers etc should be easy once you get your box running (with lcd), then you can do this in the menu

good luck, marcel