Core Questions

Meadow

Hey!

I'm pretty much done with planning my DAW controller but I have some questions about cores, precisely how many modules I can connect to them.
I know this is probably beginner knowledge, but I couldn't find the right answers and also couldn't find other posts about this.
Now my questions:

- I can connect two AIN64 modules to one core. But is this all the core can handle or is it possible to also connect other modules to the same core, like Din modules, or mf modules etc?

- Is it possible to cascade button matrices? Or do I need a new Core for every new matrix?

Thanks in advance for your time :)
Have a nice day!
Frederik

Hi Frederik,

2 hours ago, Meadow said:

- I can connect two AIN64 modules to one core. But is this all the core can handle or is it possible to also connect other modules to the same core, like Din modules, or mf modules etc?

Yes, most ports with specific functions can be used in parallel. 

J8/9 is for SRIO i.e. input/output shift registers that chain in parallel (DIN/DOUT)
J19 is for SPI with two chip selects (AINSER/AOUT)
etc. 

Check the STM32F4 Core details

- Is it possible to cascade button matrices? Or do I need a new Core for every new matrix?

The SRIO chain extends in series parallel, no need for additional Cores generally.

Regards,
Andy

Edited by latigid on

thanks for your replies!

5 hours ago, latigid on said:

Yes, most ports with specific functions can be used in parallel. 

J8/9 is for SRIO i.e. input/output shift registers that chain in parallel (DIN/DOUT)
J19 is for SPI with two chip selects (AINSER/AOUT)
etc. 

Check the STM32F4 Core details

ok that helps a lot!

3 hours ago, Phatline said:

ascade matrices... & multiple modules >>> keep Flat-band-Wires from module to module as short as possible (if you build a big console: position the modules near the cores...)

You mean because of jitter, or latency?
How close should I position the modules?

15 hours ago, Meadow said:

You mean because of jitter, or latency?

How close should I position the modules?

depends on the modules - and what you do with it.... i cant tell you that - sorry bro.     as example SD-Card-Module: as short as possible < 10cm...

but i want you to keep in mind:

* keep the Flatbands between the modules short

* and dont give a shit on wirelength off the single wires which are going out of this modules - when it comes to the question - module interconnection  vs  single wires( aka shiftregister outputs/inputs) - except it is analog stuff.

* when you interconnect the cores via MIDI > Midi length dont care! but the interconnection Midi-Module>Core  CARE!   (since a midicable can be a shieldet cable, the flatbandcable is not at all!) - so could built some Places of cores and Modules on different places of your controller...

* i talk about big consoles --- if you have a 19" Inch controller i would not care so much about Cable lengths. (but keep them in mind when you design it)

because of? because of RADIO Waves? or electromagnetical Interferencys? or may it be "Runtime-delays" thats a way of latency....

Edited by Phatline

the wires that are going out of the din or dout modules are not so importent (except that they itself transmit radio...) so they can be long (except you make a scan-matrix... i think)

@ pots... they 5V and GND lines: make them thick.... the signal line - you may take a shielded wire...