Request feedback: MB-SID frontpanel design

Wilba

Hi all,

I just want some feedback on this design before I proceed... for some reason I feel it's missing something... I know the space in the top right is a bit empty... any suggestions welcome.

(In no way am I suggesting TK's layout needed improvement... I just wanted to be creative)

MB6581_frontpanel_design_v1_small.jpg

A hi-res version can be found here:

http://www.avishowtech.com/midibox/photos/MB6581_frontpanel_design_v1_large.png

Design variations from TK's original:

- Slightly taller frontpanel (~5mm)

- The "Assign" encoders are (sort of) aligned with the display.

- Added "Curve Assign" button/LEDs

- Added extra LED to "Envelope Ctrl" group (so encoder can control "Curve" parameter)

- Added "Mod Matrix Ctrl" button/LEDs to support switching of mod matrix mode

(ie. for AOUT outputs or a second mod-matrix mode)

Note: These additions use the unused DIN/DOUT pins.

Construction details:

- Thin aluminium (0.5mm) frontpanel with Lazertran decal artwork.

(Aluminium is simulated in picture.)

- Case is original (brown) C-64 case, painted black.

- Knobs are black plastic (not as spiky as pictured), slightly tapered, 14mm high.

- LEDs are all frosted clear (aka milky white) LEDs, mostly blue.

- Buttons are like TK's - ALPS model SKHHDH (17mm stem height).

- Display is Noritake character VFD (custom parallel interface, will require some driver coding).

TODO:

- only using "Curve" in envelope alternate mode - what to do with the others??

- fix up top right corner artwork

Wilba

Hi Wilba,

I suggest 2.5mm aluminium, otherwise there is a high chance that this beautiful panel will bend during drilling.

To the modulation matrix: since you arranged it at the left border, it makes sense to place the target selection buttons at the right side - for ergonomical reasons.

You have to push two buttons to make a mod connection. E.g., to make a connection between E2 and the filter, you've to hold the filter button (with your forefinger) and to push the E2 button (with your thumb)

For the envelope alternate mode I would suggest to use depth/attack/decay/curve/release parameter - in this order. Sustain is not affected by the curve, and you possibly don't want to switch back and forth between every curve adjustment (when changing the curve parameter, you have to adjust the assigned parts of the envelope anyhow - example: the decay will be much short with higher curve values, this has to be readjusted)

Another hint: seppoman wrote a working VFD display driver for MIOS. His VFD runs much slower than a common LCD (ca. 4 times), but with the menu optimizations in alpha2 this issue has been solved (more intelligent display output routine)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

First up, thanks for the feedback.

NorthernLightX: You could upload yours to the midibox portal site.

TK: Thanks for the tips.

0.5mm aluminium sheet is widely available here (in Australia)... it's available in electronics stores for front panels on plastic boxes, but I got 300x900mm for $10 at a hardware store.

I don't see how it can bend during drilling... I'm going to use a drill press.

There's enough overlap around the panel's edge with the C-64 case to stop it bending when attached. I plan to glue it to the case, and the encoders, switches and LEDs poke through it and are mounted on a board that's attached to the C-64 case. Thus there is nothing mounted on the panel itself. This thin panel lets me mount encoders, switches and LEDs on a single board, the buttons poke through 3.5mm, the entire encoder shaft is exposed. (Scale diagram follows)

MB6581_construction_v1.png

Hi Wilba,

this parallel VFD driver is working quite well but I´m not sure if it´s finished yet. After doing a bit documentation and further testing I´ll send it to TK, perhaps he wants to put it in the download section. But if you want to test it with your display now, feel free to PM me and I will send it to you by eMail.

My display is a Futaba, but you´ll probably only have to adapt the command codes for cursor set, reset etc., which is no big deal.

BTW here´s a preview of my box - still need to get two more knobs and paint the panel (probably in red), but here is the VFD in action :)

The five OSC encoders on the right got a 4th layer with the ENV parameters, so the only things missing due to the space needed by the NanoVerb are the LFO and Mod Matrix sections.

sid.jpg

Seppoman

Wilba,

Let me guess where you saw the 0.5mm Al? Hardwarehouse?  ;)

I used this for my prototype MB LC, as I could cut the slots with several passes of a stanley knife, but I don't reccomend this as it is very dangerous (needs lots of pressure) Even with strengthening underneath, it is very flimsy, and scratches easily

Steven: No, Bunnings.  :P

Scratches won't be a problem - Lazertran decal will be baked on, toner side down. Apparently this leaves a fairly tough coating on the panel, protecting the toner.

I wouldn't make a whole case out of 0.5mm aluminium sheet... but this is just the front panel and spans only 5 inches top to bottom, and doesn't support anything except itself. I made mockups with paper and taped them to the C-64 case... they can withstand finger pressure (being taut like a drum skin)... so I'm fairly confidant the panel won't bend through normal use. Even so, I might just add some support in the centre just in case.