Just finished SID step A, PIC progging prob.

NorthernLightX

Hi,

After finishing the SID step A, I tried to flash the PIC via sysex. My midi-interfae is a Egosys WaMi rack, known for not-so-good sysex abilities. However, when I connect the power, the MIDI-leds of the interface begin flashing like mad, and keep on flashing. Midi-OX does not give any info on screen. Could i have made some mistake connecting the midi plugs? I did the cables correctly for sure, out->in and in->out. Any tips?

Problrm persists: Nothing in Midi-OX, and wild midi action.

The port which I've connected the midibox to constantly receives midi, and sends it to the other 3 'interfaces'. That's not really a problem, as there's nothing connected to those ports at the moment, but i find it very strange that Midi-OX does not report anything, while te leds are going crazy...

Is my interface not supported perhaps? (It doesn't work with bZone either, Sysex implementation from Egosys suxxxxx bigtime).

Only the bootstraploader is burned right now, I haven't been able to load MIOS or an application yet.

The loader was burnt for me by a friend/midibox collegue :D so i'm not 100% sure what he burned, I'm asking him right now. (my JDM does not work yet either, with my laptop the voltage is too low. I have only treid to burn a 16F with it, but that fails at about 20%, I guess due to the low voltage (11 volts instead of 13,5)Would using a USB->COM convertor raise that voltage perhaps?)

Did you ever try to upload code? Then this strange behaviour could be the result of a data transfer error caused by your MIDI interface or by a bad MIDI connection (check the solderings around the Rx/Tx pins). In this case there is no complete program in the PIC, but only trash which will be executed and is doing anything but a proper boot of the system.

If this happens, then you're always on the secure side by uploading MIOS again with the first level bootstrap loader (within 2 seconds after power-on). This is some kind of recovery. If the MIDI Out LED still flickers permanently during the upload, and not only every 750 mS (during the upload...), then there is either a hardware problem (check the Rx/Tx connections again) or the bootstrap loader does not exist in flash.

In other words: the LED should never flicker during the first 2 seconds after power-on.

It flickers immediately: hardware problem (solderings...) or bootstrap loader doesn't exist

It begins to flicker after 2 seconds: corrupted MIOS version due to an unproper code upload

Best Regards, Thorsten.

OK, i just learned that bootstrap 1.1 was flashed, and the flash verified correctly. The display does not show anything but the lines on row 1 and 3, which indicate that the LCD is working but not initialized, right? I guess this is normal if only the bootstrap is loaded.

The leds begin flashing as soon as the power is applied, no 2 second payload, and have done so from the beginning, before the first attempt to load MIOS.

I do not have shorts in the connections of the midi plugs, but I might have swapped some wires. In the Core PDF it says that the displayed MIDI plugs are shown "from the back", I tought that the backside was where the soldering pins of the plugs are visible, correct? Also, Midi-IN has 2 leads, and OUT has 3, right? And OUT is located at the corner of the board, and IN is located next to it, a little more to the middle (Dummy questions, but if I did that wrong we can search a long time before solving anything). I will also measure the resistance of the used wires for breaches and bad connections this evening.

Another strange thing: If I order Midi-OX to send sysex (with box connected or not, no difference), my interface does nothing it seems, no led activity.

Thanks in advance,

Alex.

Hi Alex,

you are using v1.1 and not v1.1b? Then please take into account that this older version stalls (doesn't boot MIOS) so long as any MIDI event is received (e.g. Active Sense events from your keyboard). This isn't the problem here, but I just want to inform you before another issue pops up...

Based on your other questions I assume that you haven't read all points of the MIDI Troubleshooting Guide:

http://www.ucapps.de/howto_debug_midi.html

It also explains how to check if your MIDI interface sends the SysEx data correctly... but my suggestion: check all points, regardless if it makes sense for you (yet) or not... just to ensure...

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hi all,

there was no problem with wiring, the problem was.......i had to f*cking reboot my PC. After a reboot (I rarely do that because I need it to be available over internet for work) midi-ox suddenly came to life, and the sysex was done in 5 minutes. SID firmware is loaded!

thanks for all help and patience. Now lets try to help Twin-X load his, he's still having trouble at this moment...

I have another strange problem: After everything worked last night, i unplugged te power and went to sleep. 5 minutes ago I fired it up again, nothing, just the initializing bars on the LCD saying "hi!". Rebooted the box, same thing.

I thought, maybe the PIC has a little altzheimer, let's flash it again. Started midi-ox, and suddenly the LCD comes to life, and MIOS starts. Rebooted the box, works again.

Closed midi-ox, rebooted box, problem back again!? powerd down box, removed midi-cables, powerd up again, and mios starts well.

How can this be explained? My midi-interface was powered on all the time.

Are you really sure that you are using Bootstrap Loader V1.1b? (available since 30.3.2003)

How to test this:

o Send any MIDI events to the box (just use a MIDI sequencer)

o reboot the box (Power off/on)

If it doesn't reboot until MIDI cables are diconnected: you are using the (very) old BSL v1.1 or lower

If it boots: then I need more input from your side - under which circumstances does it work, when not?

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Just tried that for you: made a loop in Fruityloops, with midi-out to the SID (just been playing for an hour with patch 1, this thing is great! ;D) and some samples from fruity, let it play, and then i pulled te power out (no switch yet) and put it back in. My midi-interface went bananas, but the box booted correctly and immediately resumed playing (the interface began broadcasting noise on some audio-outputs, its an integrated Wave&Midi thing).

So, no problem right now? I really am puzzled. I am quite sure that BSL 1.1b is used, Twin-X flashed it for me a few weeks ago.

/update

Found the exact moment of problem, it only occurs if:

- Midi interface is turned ON while booting, and

- NO program is "commanding" the midi-ports. (this means no midi program is loaded.)

If I boot with this situation, the LCD shows the bars. But as soon as I fire up a MIDI program, such as fruity, or MIDI-OX, the box spontaneously begins booting.

I am sure this is related to my midi-interface. Perhaps make it a faq entry for fellow EgoSys WaMiRack 24 users?

Cheers,  Alex.

Hi Alex,

could it be that your MIDI interface has an automatic MIDI Thru (feedback) which is active so long as no MIDI port has been opened by the software? This would explain everything, because in this situation the upload request will be looped to the MIDI In of your core module, and the BSL will remain in "listen" mode.

If this is the reason, I will add this issue to the MIDI Troubleshooting Guide

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Yep, that's right, if nothing s commanding the ports, the interface forwards everything incoming on 1 port to the 3 others. But, as far as i know it doesn't forward it to the out of the same port.

Example: incoming on IN2 is forwarded to OUT1 OUT3 and OUT4, but not OUT2.

I will check this with EgoSys, and let you know.

Cheers,  Alex.