Differences between 6581 and 8580 chips

Hermes

Hi

I have searched the forum but it seems that there is no topic about the differences between the 6581 and the 8580 SID chip.  So apart from the different filter, are there any other differences, or advantages -dissadvantages between them?

I am starting the contruction of a quad Midibox SID and I don' t know if it is better to try to to find 4 x 6581 chips or 2 x 6581 and 2 x 8580 chips.. ???.

Thanks in advance

Best regards

Dimitris

The filter is one difference. the supply voltage is another. 12V for 6581, 9V for 8580. the 8580 was the last version made, and is reported to sound better than the 6581, Though I have not yet got my 8580's to do any testing. I think that's about it ... surely there are internal differences that lead to the better sound, but i don't know the details...

There is a sample mp3 on the page with both filters.

There you can hear the difference very clearly. The 8580 filter (with the new software) is much more broader and just sounds fatter (better!!!).

Another difference is that the 6581 is a little more vintage like. That means the tones are not soooooo exact as in the 8580 (which can be very cool indeed!). Its also getting hotter (the IC!) than the 8580 because of the temperature stabilizing of the VCOs.

The ones like the 6581 better, the others the 8580. I do like the 8580 much more (tried both versions).

If you can't make up your mind just use 2x 6581 and 2x 8580.

Greetz!

/modify:

Just found the link with the new software:

http://www.midibox.org/midibox_sid/mbsid_v1_5_filter.mp3

The 6581 also contained some 'bugs', which were later exploited by l337 C64 coderz to play samples on the C64. They used some kinda bug that made a click after you set the volume to 0 (or something), if you're interested you can probably find some more info on that somewhere on the net.

For midibox purposes that's useless I think. the artifact noise the 6581 sometimes produces can sound vintage indeed. if you just want a clean fat sound go for the 8580. I'll have them both.

Yeah, I thought the filter on the 6581 a little weak, so the 8580 is better, good. though i am having fun with my 6581. I would be having fun with my 6581's, but one of them seems to have a bad filter, it does absolutely nothing... strangely this came from a mint 64.the one that works came from a broken 64...aint that luck ??

Still I do love this little SID, got some sick sounds already, and it is definitely Vintage! Just got me a box of parts for the cs today.....for now i am doing something between the minimal and full cs....anyway i digress....