My SID is hot!!!

Stigmata

The SID gets hot, thats normal. It's just good old analog stuff! :-)

If the SID hangs up, it might be the reason that something influences the data transfers between the core and the SID module. I mean that ESD issue... e.g. if you have a temperature regulated soldering iron which switches on/off sometimes, this can cause unwanted transients on the data lines which disturb the data accesses. Or if your mobile phone rings during a SID session, the data flow could also be disturbed.

Solution: build the circuit into a metal case like known from "real" synthesizers...

You are writing that the cutoff frequency of one chip cannot be controlled. I hope that this isn't a 8580?

Best Regards, Thorsten.

You mean that one of the chip gets hot and has no functional cut-off effect? It seems that this chip is either damaged (after 20 years this could happen...) or a different chip-revision which requires another capacitor pair (C1/C2). You could try two 1 nF or 2.2 nF if available.

Btw.: Since I built the MIDIbox SID I've tested 4 different SIDs and noticed that every chip has it's own sound ;-) --- especially the filters varying a lot.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Yeah

My sids 6581's  also got hot. I had a similar problem with lockups. I hav'nt rebuilt yet until the control surface

"surfaces'. Think I'll be adding some heat sinks though !!

I had an ensoniq pci for midi and it would send some weird message every 50 events and trip the whole thing.

That card is now in two pieces on the ceiling of my studio !! 8)

I got a different sound out of all ten sid's I tested.

I even ran a 8580 on 12volts !!  still goes !

ian

Just a question to Ian and Christoffer: are you using an 1 MHz oszillator for the SID, or is the SID clock input supplied by the PIC? Because this could be the only difference between my own SIDs and yours, and my SIDs are running hours without any failure, and I neither use headsinks, nor a metal case...

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Can I try to cange the C1/C2 to another cap or can I destroy the 6581 chip more??(If its broken).

Just recognize that the filters is there (somewere), but I have to turn the volume up so my speakers just shake!! ;).

Another question:

Whats the device number for?

Take care

Christoffer

Sorry Stigmata but this doesnt answer your question at all.......

Im running the mos8580(ex C128D) with CLK connected to the PIC, so far it hasnt got hot, using 6.8nF caps

I got a short piece of ribbon cable to connect to the PIC

dont know if this makes any difference???

Has any1 had overheating probs when using the 1mhz OSC instead of the PIC pin?

And has any 1 found a 1mhz OSC in NZ or Australia??

Can I try to cange the C1/C2 to another cap or can I destroy the 6581 chip more??(If its broken).

you can try it without any risk. Note that capacitances are added when they are connected in parallel. That means: you can leave the 470 pF caps on the board and solder other caps in parallel - e.g. two additional 1nF will result into  2* 1.47 nF

Best Regards, Thorsten.