Motorfaders and touch sensors..?

gvink

Maybe a stupid question but... there is no such thing as a stupid question.. Am I right..

:P I'm just a newbie... :P

I'd just like to know what the actual difference is (besides price) between motorfaders inc touch sensors, and motorfaders without them...?!?

Is it only that it "recognises" the touch of a fader (so without moving it..)..

So it is also possible to use faders without the touch sensor and make select buttons for each channel/fader..?

Thanks  ;D

In 95% of all cases touchsensors on MFs are used to stop them. Imagine following: You just recorded some fade out of an audio line. The first part is good, but you wrecked the end. Now you don´t want to record the whole part again.

With touch sensor the MF recognizes the touch and stops it´s movement and you can record the second part again (on the fly). Without this you would have to record the whole fade again or just go right inside the point you want to enter and push record and move the fader simultanously.

With touch sensor everything is much more ergonomic.

My MF's dont have TS and they work just fine, TS would be nice but..... you can just attach a button next to the fader to disengage also the software (not sure if its on all versions) has a built in fix when you move a fader by hand for 0.5 or something seconds it automatically switches the fader off..... not real good for the life of the fader but doubt it would make much diff

If you can afford touch sensor get it if not no worries!

Thanks guys!

I already thought it had to be something like this.. Now I know for sure..!

Think I'm going to order some stuff in the next few days...   8)

Just one small question..

How many pic's would I need to control 17 motorfaders?

(and 128 buttons/leds?)

Thanks  :-*

3 pics(CORES) 8 mf per core. I assume the 17th is for master fader or something?Maybe you could use something else to save building an extra core, like a regular fader or rotary endcoder? I'm not sure on this, as I have no experience with this setup, I have only built SID's so far. If anyone has an answer to that I'd be interested to know.

Looks cool. I don't know how often you would really need to automate the master level, so i would leave it off to save a core.Use an encoder instead and it can still be "automated" A pot could be too, but i am not clear on wether you can use an ain and mf on the same core, it doesnt seem like you can.

Those boards are really well made,much better than ones I made myself.

for the header you need to know which type of display(charecter or graphical) you are using, wether you plan ot use regular midi, or the serial port connection, and if you are chaining them.

The last two numbers are device id, if you are chaining 2 or more cores, each should have a unique ID.

so since you need to chain two cores you should use

and

that would be the header's for 2 cores to be chained using charecter displays and the midi ports.

if you need glcd or the serial connection you need to make some more changes, but the above seems to be the most often used setup.

good luck

Well...I dunno, it can be done without a display, in which case the headers i gave will still be fine. I have only built the sid so far, and I say it needs the display. The others seem to say that although not neccesary, the display is useful for debugging/troubleshooting.

It can be done without the display though.

Guest psytron

;D imho a display is gold ;D

when it comes to debugging just get a cheep (no backlight 2x16) if you do not intend to use it in the setup. unless you get it all right on both cores first go a screen will help you out.

i wonder if any one has got it right on one core first time around anyone???  :-* ;)