Searching for Beta Testers

TK.

...for a small but very effective hardware change which will affect every MBHP design.

Four years ago I decided to connect the SCL line of the BankStick to pin RD3 of the PIC. This was maybe the worst idea I ever had, since it required a lot of quirks in the following years to keep the firmware - and later to keep MIOS - compatible to this circumstance.

This connection is the reason:

• why the output pins of the DOUT chain are jumping to logic-0 for about 100 uS during the SRIO update cycle (cannot be regognized by eye, but affects projects which rely on stable output levels)
  • why LEDrings and the SID control matrix are not so bright as they could be
  • why IIC/BankStick accesses have to block all interrupt service routines for some microseconds

I never improved this part of the hardware due to compatibility reasons. I worried about the people who have to change their hardware and about my own documentation effort. Maybe the second worst idea I ever had... some years ago only 10 people had to change their hardware, in the meantime there are hundred of peoples (and who knows how much in the future... ;-))

So, it's time to align this design weakness ASAP in order to ensure best quality. The only change which has to be made is to solder J4:SC to Pin 28 instead of Pin 22. MIDIbox SID users additionally have to solder J2:SC of the SID module to J10:MD instead of J10:SC of the core module.

And MIOS has to be updated, this will be a change for everybody.

It would be very helpful for me if some people who already built a MIDIbox could test this change before the release. I'm especially searching for MIDIbox64E, MIDIbox SEQ and MIDIbox SID users - please contact me to get the new MIOS version (tk@midibox.org)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

P.S.: anybody remembers the A20 gate?

http://www.win.tue.nl/~aeb/linux/kbd/A20.html

I just want to prevent the same desaster ;-)

Hi Thorsten,

I tested the new MIOS on my Midibox LC16.

After a few tests I coul recognize that the LEDs are a little brighter (especially the MTC Display).

I don't change anything on the CORE because I don't use a bankstick in this box. Was this right?

I noticed another strange thing. With MIOS 1.7:

When I press any SOLO button all other LEDs, the transport lights and the MTCDisplay are switched off. It seems that the SOLO button is switching the whole DOUTs out.  ???

I didn't change anything on the application. Just changed the MIOS. With the old MIOS everything works well.

I made a final test: Old MIOS on one CORE and the new MIOS on the second CORE. The Core with the old MIOS works well but the second CORE (with MIOS1.7) have the same strange SOLO-button behaviour. Everything on the right side of my box is dark, when any SOLO button is pressed.

Could it be that I noticed a little bug or did I make something wrong ?

greets

DOC

Hi Doc,

so long you are not using the BankStick (or a SID/AOUT module), no hardware changes are required. So, thats ok.

But the behaviour of the solo button is very strange! I will check this with my MIDIbox LC once I've adapted the KS0107/KS0108 driver to the new pinning.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hey TK,

As you might have read in my big post this morning, I've been working on some IIC code lately, so this is of interest to me... Would I be able to take a look too?

Just curious... anything else new in 1.7?  ;)

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Thorsten, hi all,

I'm slowly thinking of making PCBs for my Quad-SID and was wondering about the proposed change...

Do I understand correctly from the thread above and from the fact that MIOS 1.7 is available for download that the HW/MIOS modifications are now validated?

In other words, can I modify the PCBs according to the changes proposed or should I still wait a little while?

Thanks in advance,

Lall

Here I am!

I'll be happy to try your New MIOS 1.7 on my system Thorsten! :D

Just a thing :

Under download section of MIOS  there is a package named 1.7, but if I flash it , the name at Boot is always MIOS 1.6 2003 .......(I thinked you forgot to update the

notice .....but after I change Bankstik pin to #28 the System does not access the 24lc256 any more.....it is still working at pin #22)

Please send me an update version or say me what's wrong? ;)

Thanks ;D

???

After flashing the Application MidiBoxSid v1.6

(setup_8580_with_cs.syx)

System restart and give me :

001 (I believe is an error code:

0x01      | Less bytes than expected have been received) ???

NO PROBLEM Flashing the same file under MIOS 1.6!

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Thanks to everyone !

:-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

OK ! I've been too fast !!

I' forgot to configure MIDIOX before flashing!

:-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

No Problem at all!

MIOS V1.7 OK!

MIDIBOXSID V1.6 OK!

Bankstick OK!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Thanks to everyone !!!

• 2 months later...

On the mios V1.7 hardware mods page it states thatCore J:11sc is to be moved to core J:11MD. In this post it states Core J:10 instead. I believe that this post is right because there is no J:11 sc or md, but there is on J:10.... so To save confusion A change may be necesary..

Now to modify my mbSID!