New JDM required

monokinetic

Hi all,

well after 2 months Im close to giving up on the JDM module. Yes before you flame me I have been through all of the testing pages and help on the forum, however I cannot get it to work.

A friend has recommended the tait programmer found on this page (www.finitesite.com/d3jsys/ ) which uses the LVP mode of the PIC. Before I start building another frustrating thing can anyone tell me if this makes the programming porocess less sensitive to voltage....

also if anyone is in London next week and able to program a PIC for me (so I can test my core module!) while I work out how to do this myself?

thanks in advance

Dave mK

Hi all,

well after 2 months Im close to giving up on the JDM module. Yes before you flame me I have been through all of the testing pages and help on the forum, however I cannot get it to work.

A friend has recommended the tait programmer found on this page (www.finitesite.com/d3jsys/ ) which uses the LVP mode of the PIC. Before I start building another frustrating thing can anyone tell me if this makes the programming porocess less sensitive to voltage....

also if anyone is in London next week and able to program a PIC for me (so I can test my core module!) while I work out how to do this myself?

thanks in advance

Dave mK

Hi Dave,

I do not have any advice on the JDM as I have not built one. But before you build a low voltage programmer consider that the RB5 pin on the 18F452 cannot be used as a I/O pin while low voltage programming mode is enabled. The core module connects RB5 to a data pin on the LCD so loss of this pin would mean a programming change of some type (either a configuration or MIOS change I am not sure which). I looked at the site you posted and there is also a high voltage programmer schematic there. Maybe that will work for you. :)

Regards,

Synapsys

Hi Dave,

I do not have any advice on the JDM as I have not built one. But before you build a low voltage programmer consider that the RB5 pin on the 18F452 cannot be used as a I/O pin while low voltage programming mode is enabled. The core module connects RB5 to a data pin on the LCD so loss of this pin would mean a programming change of some type (either a configuration or MIOS change I am not sure which). I looked at the site you posted and there is also a high voltage programmer schematic there. Maybe that will work for you. :)

Regards,

Synapsys

Yeah i admit too thatthe JDM is hell to build.. Worst thing is you don't know if its not done up properly or due to software issues like port settings and stuff..

I had to build 3 sets till my forth started to work..

Happy building.

I think there's someone in the uk that has a midibox... He also provides real cheap CNC services for doing up your panels. Check out the gallery. His midibox is in this real nice tilted case with oak wood sides.

Cheers

Yeah i admit too thatthe JDM is hell to build.. Worst thing is you don't know if its not done up properly or due to software issues like port settings and stuff..

I had to build 3 sets till my forth started to work..

Happy building.

I think there's someone in the uk that has a midibox... He also provides real cheap CNC services for doing up your panels. Check out the gallery. His midibox is in this real nice tilted case with oak wood sides.

Cheers

Hi synapsys,

your message has confused me a little, as far as I am aware the JDM is a PIC programmer, the schematic you seem to have quoted from is the Core module isnt it?

maybe im misunderstanding you but to clarify my question has anyone had any better success programming PICs using the LVP mode?

and still looking for someone in London/Prague to help me program a PIC ;)

regards

Dave mK

Hi synapsys,

your message has confused me a little, as far as I am aware the JDM is a PIC programmer, the schematic you seem to have quoted from is the Core module isnt it?

maybe im misunderstanding you but to clarify my question has anyone had any better success programming PICs using the LVP mode?

and still looking for someone in London/Prague to help me program a PIC ;)

regards

Dave mK

Hi Dave,

Sorry I confused you. I guess I left out a very important point in my reply.  :-[ When I referred to the core module schematic's use of RB5 I meant to say that in order to program the PIC for use on the core module you must set the configuration so that the RB5 pin is an I/O pin. This disables the LVP capability of the chip. After this is done you cannot use LVP on the chip again only HVP. The only alternative is to not use RB5 as an I/O pin. This would require changing how the LCD on the core module works and thus the MIOS LCD driver as well.

By the way, does anyone know why MIOS does not support 4-bit data interface to the LCD? Or maybe it does and I just have not seen any documentation on it. This would free up 4 more I/O pins on the core.

Hi Dave,

Sorry I confused you. I guess I left out a very important point in my reply.  :-[ When I referred to the core module schematic's use of RB5 I meant to say that in order to program the PIC for use on the core module you must set the configuration so that the RB5 pin is an I/O pin. This disables the LVP capability of the chip. After this is done you cannot use LVP on the chip again only HVP. The only alternative is to not use RB5 as an I/O pin. This would require changing how the LCD on the core module works and thus the MIOS LCD driver as well.

By the way, does anyone know why MIOS does not support 4-bit data interface to the LCD? Or maybe it does and I just have not seen any documentation on it. This would free up 4 more I/O pins on the core.

Hi, Synapsys!

MIOS does support 4-bit interface for HD44780 compatibles, just check MIOS function documentation for MIOS_LCD_TypeSet.

Then again, has anyone adapted custom driver for Mitsubishi M50530? I've got 3*40 LCD from an old Ericsson phone that uses that on 4-bit mode. Protocol is pretty similar to HD44780, but with 2 I/O control signals..

Bye, Moebius

Hi, Synapsys!

MIOS does support 4-bit interface for HD44780 compatibles, just check MIOS function documentation for MIOS_LCD_TypeSet.

Then again, has anyone adapted custom driver for Mitsubishi M50530? I've got 3*40 LCD from an old Ericsson phone that uses that on 4-bit mode. Protocol is pretty similar to HD44780, but with 2 I/O control signals..

Bye, Moebius

Guest mattcarus

Hi mono,

I haven't finished building my midiBox hardware yet so I haven't programmed any pics but I do have a pic programmer (not the JDM one). If you want me to program the pics for you I can do but be aware that I can't test them. Also I'll have to ask that you pay postage both ways to/from Swansea - other than that, I'm quite happy to do them for free.

If you're interested, please send me a personal message or eMail me (mattcarus@hotmail.com) and I'll give you my address.

Hope I can be of help!

Matt, Swansea

Guest mattcarus

Hi mono,

I haven't finished building my midiBox hardware yet so I haven't programmed any pics but I do have a pic programmer (not the JDM one). If you want me to program the pics for you I can do but be aware that I can't test them. Also I'll have to ask that you pay postage both ways to/from Swansea - other than that, I'm quite happy to do them for free.

If you're interested, please send me a personal message or eMail me (mattcarus@hotmail.com) and I'll give you my address.

Hope I can be of help!

Matt, Swansea

Hello everyone.

After building the JDM i got problems too...

window$ problem? serial out driver problem? volatage?

But DONT FORGET the pulldown resistor NOT found on the pcb-layout!!

follow the shematic on bottom of the JDM-page!

10k pulldown between VSS and RB5 for PIC18!!

After soldering this, everything works as expected, even i couldnt measure the exact voltages given on the jdm-page.

I use factory-new PICS - burned whithout problems!

Hope this may help someone!

./chrom

Hello everyone.

After building the JDM i got problems too...

window$ problem? serial out driver problem? volatage?

But DONT FORGET the pulldown resistor NOT found on the pcb-layout!!

follow the shematic on bottom of the JDM-page!

10k pulldown between VSS and RB5 for PIC18!!

After soldering this, everything works as expected, even i couldnt measure the exact voltages given on the jdm-page.

I use factory-new PICS - burned whithout problems!

Hope this may help someone!

./chrom

• 2 weeks later...
Guest XORNOT

SmashTV's version of the JDM worked for me on my first attempt at building it, and I'd never built anything before at all! The only tricky part was figuring out what settings to put on ICprog.

I found mine worked when I disabled Vcc for JDM instead of enabling it ( ICProg site lists that as experimental ) and I disable the LVP option as well. Also to make my circuit work ( my own circuit ) I turned off all the options on the side ( ie code protect, watchdog, brownout, etc. )

At any rate, I'm super impressed with the Smash kit for the JDM and have been recommending it like crazy.

Iain

Guest XORNOT

SmashTV's version of the JDM worked for me on my first attempt at building it, and I'd never built anything before at all! The only tricky part was figuring out what settings to put on ICprog.

I found mine worked when I disabled Vcc for JDM instead of enabling it ( ICProg site lists that as experimental ) and I disable the LVP option as well. Also to make my circuit work ( my own circuit ) I turned off all the options on the side ( ie code protect, watchdog, brownout, etc. )

At any rate, I'm super impressed with the Smash kit for the JDM and have been recommending it like crazy.

Iain