encoder subst

Guest ignatz

Guest ignatz

hi all!!!

this is my first post.. so be gentle ;)

i was searching here in the forum for a alternative encoder, like using buttons instead of encoders. is there anyway to make this work? from the searching i've made the encoder is 2 push buttons and a pair of resistors but they make a certain code like 0101 and 1010 (something like that). i was wandering if anyone as made a substitute for it... i ask this because i prefer buttons to rotary encoders or pots... it's a stylish thing u know? ;)

thanx in advance

ignatz the portugues wanna be midibox & sid builder.

Hi,

are you speaking about a MIOS based project, or something else?

MIOS projects sometimes support an option to use Inc/Dec buttons instead of encoders. And if not, it's mostly no problem to change the software so that it works.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Guest ignatz

Hi Thorsten!

My main objective is to build a SID and a Sequencer. is it possible to use thoses inc/dec buttons instead of encoders? The sequencer will control a sid and other stuff like samplers and analog sinths (made by me). Another question is the possibillity of the Sequencer send CV and MIDI signals.

By the way... the sequencer allows pots instead of encoders? (for cv signals i think is more practical ;) )

thanks !

ignatz

Guest ignatz

sampler i cant :(

but analog synth... search google for analog synth DIY... you will find a lot of cool and usefull infos... the best i can do is recommend the ASM1 analog synth.

Stay cool and Enjoy :)

My main objective is to build a SID and a Sequencer. is it possible to use thoses inc/dec buttons instead of encoders?

I guess you don't have programming skills, so it would require some programming effort from my side to realize this. :-/

Another question is the possibillity of the Sequencer send CV and MIDI signals.

yes...

By the way... the sequencer allows pots instead of encoders? (for cv signals i think is more practical ;) )

yes, but I think that you haven't read http://www.ucapps.de/midibox_seq_options.html yet... pots are the worst selection you can make for such a flexible sequencer.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Guest ignatz

Hi Again!

ok... i'm going to put aside the inc/dec button ideia... hehehe. i have some ideias about programming but not PIC's or any chip :|

i've bought 20 encoders from voti, as they arent that expensive :) so i'm going to forget the pots and buttons for substitutes... and i wont give you any work :D

just missing the pic to start the sid and sequencer job :)

so... going to the seq and sid i have one final question... here to get the CV signals for analogic gear?

thanx :)

thanks for your understanding - you won't regret the choice of rotary encoders, its the best solution for synths/controllers/sequencers which provide multiple control layers and banking

The CV solution is also described at the "MIDIbox SEQ Options" page.

There is also a new layout for the AOUT module (8 channels, 2 gates):

mbhp_aout.jpg

but I haven't found the time to write more about the details yet

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Why buy when u can build them yourself?

browse google for SDIY and surf it ;)

Because it's easier to start building from kit. And Paia has very reasonable pricing, been around for ages (Like, www.ele4music.com has dropped almost every analog synth kit - and gone VST) and have good supportive attitude towards DIYers. (And some schematics available too, If you want to route your own boards)

Bye, Moebius

p.s. DIY analog synth links at portal, anyone?!