using stepper motors as encoders and motor knobs

Fx3_hdrive

hi

there is a web site. its self-explanatory.

http://www.4qdtec.com/stpen.html

another H-bridge could drive the stepper. i think this can be researched into a great controll surface, especialy cheep.

i've found a 5 1/4" teac floppy drive in my garage (which has a great stepper motor in it) and i'm shure that if you visit some carboot sales, you can get them pretty cheep.

regards

yarek T.

Guest JimCook

As they note in the text at that site:

"The problem with a stepper (or any other motor) used as a generator is that at very slow speeds it gives virtually no output - so there is a problem with slow speeds. You have to make some sort of trade off between high speed and low speed performance. Proper encoders use optical switches which work at any speed. Of course their problem at slow speeds can be jitter."

I don't think you'll be able to spin a stepper by hand fast enough to get it to work as a panel encoder.

• 2 weeks later...

now maybe you are all right but what is ill tell you that when i spin my stepper one step, it slightly lights up an LED with a resistor? and when i connect it to my oscilloscope it gives of a nice sine wave (maybe a pulse).

the whole point of this is to make it as cheep (and homemade) as possible, i know that you can buy quality rotary M encoders. why dont you buy a whole midibox for 300 quid.

thanks

just minutes later...

i've fount a bit of text on that web site :

In the original we had R at 100K and C as 470n: the circuit responded as low as 1/3 r.p.m. You will have to reduce C for higher output frequencies.

now is this not enough: 1/3 rpm ? its enough for me !!