MIOS pinball --> need powerfull DOUT

mb944

Greetings felow midiboxers!

My dad is a vintage pinball (flipper) fan, so I decided to make him a nice "mini pinball " pour his 50th birthday.

Mios will obviously be a perfect solution ;D :

-Din

for the buttons and triggers,

-dout

for lights, solenoids

-lcd for the scoreboard and messages!!

This is all going to be great fun to make, but my question is:

How can I boost the output of the Dout?

I could use ultra bright leds instead of light bulbs, but I will still need at least 12v for some solenoid flippers and bumpers.

I saw a diy drum kit with optional velocity AMP. Can this kind of concept be adapted to the Dout module?

I'll be happy to post  progress pics of the playfield, but want to be sure it will be "doable"

Thanks in advance,

-Alex

What an awesome idea!

I'm not much for electronics stuff like voltages so I don't know if I can help with your question, but I'm not so bad with programming, so I wanted to offer my support in your project, should you need it - it's a really clever idea!

How can I boost the output of the Dout?

Hey, check MIDIO128 page. There is an simple example how to connect ULN2803 darlington driver, so DOUT can drive relays.. I guess that 500mA / channel (continuous) is also enough for the most solenoids ;) (checked few reasonable looking solenoids out of local part suppliers catalog.. 0,48mA max)

;D This is great... Moebius

p.s. Why not use MB to clock counter, EPROM, DAC combo, for those (terrible) sound FX...

Wow!

I never thought my old profession (arcade game tech) would mix with the Midibox stuff!  This combination has only been seen in my nightmares (usually along with the nightmare of when they had the "mental patient's day out" at my park).

The best way to pull this off without re-inventing the wheel would be to use some modern WMS pinball assemblies, most are either NOS or third party and I can help you find them relatively cheap.

For the output drive, relays are the easy but expensive/messy/loud way.  Also when you drive coils with relays the slapback current from the solenoid/coil has a tendency to burn the contacts quicker than expected.

The drive concept that WMS used was rock solid without relays though,  using a common transistor (like a 2n2222) to get the drive current up high enough to drive a TIP120 transistor.  

This method is extremely cheap and can drive any coil on the pinball but the flippers.  For the flippers they used a TIP36.  You can also use an enable relay+heavy contact flipper switches+capacitors but the life of the flipper contacts is finite.

Let me know what help you need, I have all of the relevant schematics and complete understanding of them.

Have Fun!

SmashTV