Broccoli18 and Bootloader - SUCCESS!!!

I have just completed successfully burning without the rb5 10k resistor attached, the 10k resistor may disable LVP but i don't think this matters when you have 9 volts (or in my case 11) at MCLR. Anyway, having RB5 resistor not attached was how i was finally able to get this to work so I suggest trying it if nothing else works.

My LCD is operating with these 3 fresh pics so RB5 is definately not disabled...

smash, could you take a look at my question i just posted regarding change_id?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, well... regretfully no instant-success-story here.

First try:

Serial resistance 330 Ohms - Foil Cap 0,1uF - MCLR from wallwart, 9.5V - Vdd from batts, 4.7V - 10k omitted - Linux

Can you imagine how hard it is to chain 3 AAA batteries when you don't have a socket for this? ;D

The PIC socket from Reichelt didn't fit, the legs of the PIC were too far apart to fit nicely. So I had to bend them a little. Even with this done, I think I didn't insert it correctly in this first trial, the legs were more "loose", which is why this may have failed. I'll try again tomorrow.

All the voltages were switchable and ok with that portdiag. But PIC was not recognized.

Second try:

Serial 220 Ohms - Elko 220uF - MCLR 9.5V - Vdd via LPT pin 36, 4.5V - 10k omitted - Linux

This time I snapped the PIC in correctly, though it was pretty hard, I thought I just might break it every second, so much force was applied. But the results were the same as before.

now you just need no job and 5 more days and it'll work in Windows for no reason! :)

I used label stickers from a grocery store to tape together my AA's (which i eventually didn't use), I took apart a mini-radio-control car remote control and used the battery pack from the body to chain my two AAA's together.

haha i used a hifi remote for batteries enclosure as well :)

as far as PIC sockets are concerned - i rarely stuff it all the way in. just put it on, make sure all the pins touch the contacts in the socket and that's it. if you stuff it all the way then you'll have a hard time getting it out.

"PIC not recognized" - everybody gets this the first million times but eventually it gets recognized, i got this problem too. i had to try (really, no exaggeration) like 30 times before it worked.

You really tried like 30 times without changing the setup between the tries? Well, that's something I could do  8)

Do you have to run erasepic before you try readcfg? I didn't do that.

Whew, everytime I plug that thing in, I'm afraid of frying the PIC or my PC  :-\

Getting it out isn't that hard, just use a screwdriver as a lever and some caution.

EDIT: Damn... my voltages are dropping like hell! I connected everything, and measured the parallel voltages of all pins with the PIC inserted. Well, my LPT supply drops to 0.8V with PIC in, and the batteries go down to 1.7V (not sure if they are all brand new). 9.5V stays stable. But when changing voltages with portdiag, high is just 0.8V when low is 0.3V! My PIC sucks voltages :-[

I even thought the PIC might get *slightly* warm, but this could as well be imagination. Hm. I checked the circuit for shorts with the multimeter, everything seems to be in order... maybe as a next step, I'll measure the current through the PIC...

EDIT: I am such a d*mb idi*t  ;D soldered Vdd to pin 10 and Vss to pin 11 *smashes head on table* and if that wasn't enough, the power pins on the right side are shifted up one pin, too. Man, what was I thinking... I hope the PIC survived this... luckily I don't trust myself and did only very short power-on phases...

EDIT again: Fixed that wrong pin business. Now, powering the PIC from LPT pulls the voltage down to 3.37V, which isn't so good. Plugging my battpack on the pic results in a voltage of 4.7V - great! When I'm back later, I'll try readcfg... (managed portdiag to work under windows, but readcfg gives all ff, lets see what it'll say with PIC in place).

Sorry for doubleposting...

One of my PICs is dead. It died a violent, heatful dead and I'm not quite certain why this happened. It just went *snap* *smoke*. At that moment, I was checking voltages with portdiag with PIC stuffed in (the voltages were OK, but can you do this with PIC in place?). I had done this before without problems. My suspicion is that I might have reversed the polarity of the 9V supply, but I can't be sure. Now you can see 6€ of dead silicon with a burn stain lying around here.

Before the PIC died, I tried different combinations of batteries, capacitors and resistors, but it never got recognized, even after 100 tries...

Right now, I don't have much more motivation left to fumble around with this burner. My case is built, the faders and pots are about to be mounted, all modules are built, all I need now is a working PIC (and I'll have to go and buy a fresh one. Yeah, real cool. Although it is almost certainly my fault, a swabian guy hates to waste money :P) and all I would want is to go and tweak those knobs, but I'm stuck in a really annoying phase  >:(

that sucks about the pic, i was lucky i think that i didnt burn one. one got really really hot when i disconnected everything from the computer and took my board to the solder station to redo a resistor with the 9v still plugged into the board with the pic still plugged into the board. 2 minutes later when i was finished my soldering the pic was really really hot. luckily 3 days later when i got things working i was finally able to discover that that one wasnt damaged.

i never had a problem with running the portdiag while the pic was plugged in, but i did notice that before i ran the portdiag, a few of the voltages of the LPT were on when they should be off, so i always ran the portdiag before plugging the pic in.

you are indeed in the worst phase, i agree. have you tried to get free samples from microchip.com? they ship to nearly anywhere and it took 2 weeks but the chips were free...

have you tried every imaginable combination possible? that's the key. on linux with v.7 and v.8beta? on windows with v.5 and v.7? in DOS with v.5? powering from LPT? powering from batteries? a different resistor value? (i dont know if you caught that I got mine to work with 220ohm instead of the correctly calculated 330ohm)

So, a little overheating does not kill the PIC, which would mean that chances are good my 2nd one ist still alive. And yeah, I usually unplug the programmer and short the capacitor before inserting a chip.

I tried out some combinations, but not really every one imaginable. I switched to a 220 Ohms resistor like you did, tried different caps (as a next step, I would have tried a "bad ass" cap). I just used 0.7 on Linux, 'cause under Win readcfg gave back all FF. I don't know, will the port mode change something? It was set to EPP/ECP in my previous tries, maybe I should try SPP?

Perhaps some geek at my university owns a PIC burner, I'll try asking around, my motivation with self-burning is somewhat down...

Regarding free samples, I think these are not intended for end users, and I'd feel bad about lying ;) besides of that, I have no idea of what hassles customs would produce.