New Core Boards

smashtv

• 1 month later...
"PCB data, can be viewed, modified and converted with Eagle Light"

Where is this sentense, DIY IS WAITING----  :o

If I understand you correctly, you are wondering why the Eagle files for the R3 CORE are not available from my site?

Two reasons:

1) When I released the V2 layout, this resulted me having to answer a constant flood of Eagle questions.  Not that I mind, but my time is not best spent doing support for Eagle and the users who should take some time to learn Eagle to enable them to make the changes they want, not rely on me to walk them through it.

2) When I released the layout and Eagle files for the USB board, many people who home etched this board forgot to use the ratsnest command.  Without this you don't have a ground plane.  I had used that to provide ground to a crucial pin on the eeprom.  Without this connection, it would not hold the firmware after power down.  It's true that I should have run a dedicated trace for that from the start, but my point is that the layout worked as presented, but caused me issues when it was not used properly.

So from now on I only release PDF artwork for the layouts, which is much easier for me to support.  Way easier to help someone through a rare problem with printing a PDF than to have to explain the CAM processor in Eagle to someone who is just starting out in electronics.  And I no longer have to ask someone who has noise/interference problems if the pcb's they etched have the proper ground plane.

The Eagle files are still up for the V2 version on my V2 CORE page.

It is linked to from the changelog on the R3 page, and won't go away unless there is a massive hardware change.

Best!

SmashTV

"PCB data, can be viewed, modified and converted with Eagle Light"

Where is this sentense, DIY IS WAITING----  :o

If I understand you correctly, you are wondering why the Eagle files for the R3 CORE are not available from my site?

Two reasons:

1) When I released the V2 layout, this resulted me having to answer a constant flood of Eagle questions.  Not that I mind, but my time is not best spent doing support for Eagle and the users who should take some time to learn Eagle to enable them to make the changes they want, not rely on me to walk them through it.

2) When I released the layout and Eagle files for the USB board, many people who home etched this board forgot to use the ratsnest command.  Without this you don't have a ground plane.  I had used that to provide ground to a crucial pin on the eeprom.  Without this connection, it would not hold the firmware after power down.  It's true that I should have run a dedicated trace for that from the start, but my point is that the layout worked as presented, but caused me issues when it was not used properly.

So from now on I only release PDF artwork for the layouts, which is much easier for me to support.  Way easier to help someone through a rare problem with printing a PDF than to have to explain the CAM processor in Eagle to someone who is just starting out in electronics.  And I no longer have to ask someone who has noise/interference problems if the pcb's they etched have the proper ground plane.

The Eagle files are still up for the V2 version on my V2 CORE page.

It is linked to from the changelog on the R3 page, and won't go away unless there is a massive hardware change.

Best!

SmashTV