Newbie questions

Guest duffrey

Guest duffrey

Hey

I have been looking around your site for a while now.  I'm really interested in making a couple of projects off of here.  For now I'm starting with the good old floor controller.  

I am also trying to figure out how this whole chip burning process works.  I found someone who could burn the boot loader in the chip, but they wanted 15 bucks, so I figured I'd try this new broccoli thing.  

I can't for the life of me figure out what I need the resistor value though.  I can't get any voltage off the parallel port.  And the portdiag.exe says everything but what I need to know.  How can I figure this out?  What am I possibly doing wrong?

The other question I have is, how am I supposed to load the MIOS and app with the chip in the floorboard circuit?  Don't I need both MIDI in and out connections?  Doesn't the floorboard circuit only have a MIDI out?

I'm used to building guitar effects.  Which are a lot more forgiving.  You plug em in and they work or they don't.  This programing stuff is new to me.  

Thanks for any help in advance.  

Jeff

Guest duffrey

Hey

I have been looking around your site for a while now.  I'm really interested in making a couple of projects off of here.  For now I'm starting with the good old floor controller.  

I am also trying to figure out how this whole chip burning process works.  I found someone who could burn the boot loader in the chip, but they wanted 15 bucks, so I figured I'd try this new broccoli thing.  

I can't for the life of me figure out what I need the resistor value though.  I can't get any voltage off the parallel port.  And the portdiag.exe says everything but what I need to know.  How can I figure this out?  What am I possibly doing wrong?

The other question I have is, how am I supposed to load the MIOS and app with the chip in the floorboard circuit?  Don't I need both MIDI in and out connections?  Doesn't the floorboard circuit only have a MIDI out?

I'm used to building guitar effects.  Which are a lot more forgiving.  You plug em in and they work or they don't.  This programing stuff is new to me.  

Thanks for any help in advance.  

Jeff

Don't know about the broccoli programmer, but I'll put the floorboard firmware on a PIC for you for free.  :)
The floorboard is one of the old school MIDIbox projects, it uses a PIC16F877 and does not use MIOS or the bootloader.  Everything is burnt to the chip all at once, no sysex upload etc.  No MIDI in needed!

If you are in the US I'd suggest using the kits supplied by SmashTV
There is not a kit or dedicated PCB for the floorboard, but it could easily be built using a slightly modified (leave off some parts) CORE board.

Have Fun!

SmashTV

Don't know about the broccoli programmer, but I'll put the floorboard firmware on a PIC for you for free.  :)
The floorboard is one of the old school MIDIbox projects, it uses a PIC16F877 and does not use MIOS or the bootloader.  Everything is burnt to the chip all at once, no sysex upload etc.  No MIDI in needed!

If you are in the US I'd suggest using the kits supplied by SmashTV
There is not a kit or dedicated PCB for the floorboard, but it could easily be built using a slightly modified (leave off some parts) CORE board.

Have Fun!

SmashTV

Guest duffrey

Thanks for the replies.  

Well I am in Canada, so sending stuff to the States gets a little frusterating at times.  Even more so than trying to get these things to work! ;D

I already have a PCB designed for this project that I did in Express PCB.  The board is already etched and all of the parts are already on it.  I even got some PIC18F452's through the sample program at Microchip, which came in yesturday.  In the faq it said to use this chip over the old PIC16, will everything work the same with this chip?  

Also, if I burn the floorboard code into the chip, and I want to modify it, which I do, can I continue to burn it again and again until I get it right? (hopefully shouldn't be more than five burns)

Thanks again.

Jeff

Guest duffrey

Thanks for the replies.  

Well I am in Canada, so sending stuff to the States gets a little frusterating at times.  Even more so than trying to get these things to work! ;D

I already have a PCB designed for this project that I did in Express PCB.  The board is already etched and all of the parts are already on it.  I even got some PIC18F452's through the sample program at Microchip, which came in yesturday.  In the faq it said to use this chip over the old PIC16, will everything work the same with this chip?  

Also, if I burn the floorboard code into the chip, and I want to modify it, which I do, can I continue to burn it again and again until I get it right? (hopefully shouldn't be more than five burns)

Thanks again.

Jeff

Just to make some things clear ...

If you mean the TK floorboard design. You can only use a PIC 16F for this design !

If you like to program your own floorboard applikation with MIOS you can use the PIC 18F.

I'm almost sure, that you can not burn the 16F firmware on a 18F PIC !

You can burn every PIC for about 10000 times, I think

greets

DOC

Just to make some things clear ...

If you mean the TK floorboard design. You can only use a PIC 16F for this design !

If you like to program your own floorboard applikation with MIOS you can use the PIC 18F.

I'm almost sure, that you can not burn the 16F firmware on a 18F PIC !

You can burn every PIC for about 10000 times, I think

greets

DOC

While the JDM is troublesome for many it also works very well for many also - older PCs/older versions of windoze work best.  

Here in the forums people always post when they have a problem, but rarely post when something works as intended.  That makes the success rate of the JDM look much worse than it really is.   ;)

Have Fun!

SmashTV

While the JDM is troublesome for many it also works very well for many also - older PCs/older versions of windoze work best.  

Here in the forums people always post when they have a problem, but rarely post when something works as intended.  That makes the success rate of the JDM look much worse than it really is.   ;)

Have Fun!

SmashTV