Serge's SysEx Loader for PIC18F

TK.

Serge's good old SysEx loader has been enhanced for the PIC18F projects. It simplifies the up- and download of code and configuration data and is especially easier to use than MIDI-Ox - I hope that this will avoid a lot of confusion about MIDI feedback trouble, delay values, device IDs, etc... in the future.

sysexbox_18f.gif

An introduction can be found here:

http://www.ucapps.de/howto_tools_syxloader_18f.html

Once it has been tested successfully by some users, the same data transfer capabilities will be integrated into the MB64 and MB64E editor.

Note that this tool is not the Java based environment which is promised from time to time in the forum. "MIOS Studio" will be an advanced solution especially for MIOS development and core debugging, and it will not only run under Windows, but also on Mac and Linux. It will be released in the next days.

But the SysEx loader will still be maintained as small, alternative solution for everybody who notice problems with MIDI-Ox and/or installing the Java runtime environment.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

It works great for me. I tested it with a SbLive and another generic SoundBlaster type card. No problems.

Justin

* a couple things i've noticed:

if I do a bunch of uploads it works great, but if I do one that fails for some reason, after that it no longer shows the acknowledgement.

An example:

plug in midi cables - send sysex - it works fine.

unplug cables - send sysex - no ack - works fine

plug cables back in  - send sysex - no ack, but still sends sysex.

after reboot, works fine again

Also, it would be cool if it would save the midi in and out settings

Hi Justin,

thanks for testing!

I wasn't able to reproduce the MIDI In problem based on your description, but maybe it has something to do with the MIDI IN Buffer Size which is specified in the MM component. I've increased it from 128 bytes to 2048 bytes (the same value which is suggested for MIDI-Ox), in the hope that it works better with all MIDI interfaces (I'm no windows expert...)

The setup is now saved in the registry when you close the application.

The new version is located here:

http://www.midibox.org/mios_tools/sysexbox_18f_v1_0b.zip

please give me feedback if the app is also working on other PCs. If this is ensured, I will continue with the MB64 and MB64E editor.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

• 3 weeks later...

Wilba has programmed a java based MIOS upload application which runs on Win/Mac/Linux. I want to do some small modifications before releasing it in order to avoid an immense support effort, but if somebody would like to test the current version, feel free to contact me.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

• 4 months later...

Im confused.. is this a tool to be used with the programmer for the Pic or is this an app to send data through midi?

Im just about to throw some serious cash for a pic-programmer, Im still gonna need one right?

Sorry for being a complete mufflon about this but the how-to's on ucapps.de arent allways obvious to me...

-------------------

Just saw a very nice explanation to my above questions on ucapps.de. Funny, I must have surfed around on that page for hours and hours again, but never saw that simple explanation...  ::)     it seems to be fairly recently updated.

No need to "draw me a picture".. Thorsten allready has  :)