A lot of Newbie questions

ThoR

Hi all, im king of new to the MIDI world and have a lot of newbie questions, so if someone could clear the path 4 me i would be preciated.

i have a P4 2.4GhZ 512 DDR 120GB Computer with Cubase SX 2.0 Installed ( the soundcard is the shitty thing integrated with the MB )

I also have a casio Keyboard plugged in thoug midi and i could get a low latency with sampletank (10 ms using KS ASIO2 Drivers).

The questions are:

On cubase i saw u could add a lot of midi devices, but i got lost tring to create one (i want to build a MidiBox64 just don´t have a lot of $$$ lately), but i found it to be not that easy... is there a template around somewere?

the second thing is that i saw the MidiBox SEQ, and i have absolutely no idea what it is used for jejejej, i would like if someone could explain me the Midi Sequencer concept :P

THX in advance, and forgive the very very NEWBIE Questions...

Keep up the good work.

ThoR

Hi Thor,

i want to build a MidiBox64 just don´t have a lot of $$$ lately), but i found it to be not that easy... is there a template around somewere?

First you should think about using encoders (MidiBox64E) instead of Potentiometers (MIDIBox64). Encoders are much more flexible.

There is a tutorial for the MIDIBox64 (The older one, but the steps to build are the same with the new one):

http://www.midibox.org/users/tor_arne/midibox64_walkthrough/index.html

Then you should read carefully the Pages about the MBHP (MIDIBOX Hardware platform). Everything is based on this:

http://www.ucapps.de/mbhp.html

On this page you will find "Module Diagramms" which show you how to connect the modules and which modules you need for which project.

the second thing is that i saw the MidiBox SEQ, and i have absolutely no idea what it is used for jejejej, i would like if someone could explain me the Midi Sequencer concept

Cubase is a sequencer ;D ;D ;D

With a sequencer you can program "sequences" ;D of notes and the mashine will play them for you. This is very useful for playing drums and other sounds when you need htem repeat often.

More exact explanation:

http://www.borg.com/~jglatt/tutr/whatsseq.htm

In contrast to Cubase and other software sequencers the MIDIBox SEQ gives you much more possibilities:

- It's more intuitive to tweak the sound via real knobs instaed of using your muose.

- You can tweak the sounds in realtime (while you hear them)!

Hope this helped.

Raphael

yeap THX raphael that helped out a lot :P

i didn{t explain myself well on the Cubase Part, the real question would be how does MidiBox integrate into cubase ( i have read a few thing on the manual about MIDI remote control, but i doesnt explain too much aboun unknown hardware)

THX

ThoR

Sorry Thor, I cannot say anything about cubase midi remote control (I use Samplitude which is not the best coice for midi sequencing but the best for audio ;D).

Please search the forum for threads on cubase automation. I know thre are some guys who use cubase with MIDIBoxes out there...

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

the answer is quite simple....

with a generic controller in cubase you can assign (almost) any function in cubase to a pot or a pushbutton on your MB64. Then you'll control this function with the box instead of the mouse.

greets

Doc