Rotary encoders in Australia?

Duggle

Hi Duggle,

I've searched pretty hard and the only place I found was Farnell - over $7 each!!

Best I found was $3 from O/S, but with minimum order I have to get 64 or more.

Anyone in OZ want to do a bulk order with me?

I volunteer to do the ordering etc. I'm in Melbourne.

cheers,

Paul

hi paul,

thanks, I'm interested in at least 16 off. I'm not sure when though, as I've just built a MB64 and am busy playing with it working out, assessing what the requirements are.

What is the farnell part# and O/S supplier?

I'm in Melbourne.

Is the $3 AUS and include GST?

many thanks

hi,

i am going to start a midibox project soon and will look to purchase some encoders.  i am in perth. if you purchase bulk it may be helpful to me also.

can you keem me informed?

cheers

michael noble

I know from experience that GST is applied and is payable once the goods arrive in the country, before they are delivered. Apart from GST, and pehaps a small customs charge, delivery was the only other major cost.

Paul, is the 64 off based on the minimum order quantity for Mouser? I notice the next price break at 100 off is US$1.50 = AUD$2.73

I'm thinking about the quantity that I will want..

thanks

• 6 months later...

I am also interested, unsure of quantity because I'm still waiting on a final control surface spec to work out how many encoders it will need, and therefore how many encoders I'll need for my modified surface. I'll probably go for 8-16, so an order in excess of 100 total would probably be doable to reduce the cost further. Always remember that there'll be people popping up here wanting more also, so you could always order extra and sell'em off to guys later.

I'm in Adelaide.

cheers mate

kieran

• 2 weeks later...

OK here goes:

I am willing to act as the go-between for an Australian bulk order of rotaries from overseas.  Here's how I propose it would work.

You can mail me with a *firm* commitment of numbers at clae@barrelfullofmonkeys.org .  When the number goes over the minimum order, I will mail each of you back with costs and banking details.  As soon as all monies are received, I will place the order, then when the parts arrive, I will split the package up and post your orders out.  We'll need to include a cost for postage.

I'm sorry that I can't offer to cover your orders before receiving any money.  I am a pensioner living from checque to checque, and I simply don't have the cash flow to do that.  I do however have access to a credit card to make the order with.  If anyone has any doubts about my integrity, my ebay profile is up as clae13.  I'm doing this so that I can get some affordable rotaries and begin my MIDIbox project, and so that everyone else can get started too.

If the necessary amount of money for a minimum order does not come in, of course all monies will be returned to those who did contribute.

OK, so now that I've volunteered this much, what I'd like from someone else is to do the research on where to order the right parts from at the best price.  Once we have a consensus on that, and if everyone agrees,  we can go ahead.

I'd rather not confuse the issue by also ordering LCDs.  The amount of time and effort I can volunteer at the moment is limited.  Perhaps someone else could look into that.

Feedback welcome.

BTW the GST has replaced customs duty.  You pay a flat 10% these days, except for luxury goods and cars.

• 1 month later...

Hey Dr Bunsen,

I hope you are still around, haven't seen you 4 ages....

reguarding the controller keyboard we talked about...

I couldn't find out who it was (can't remember, it was someone 'friend...oops' from Tafe) But.... I think the retail price is $399, most music stores offer good discounts for cash, I have found Turramurra music, and Bava's music city at liverpool to be very good. Oh yeah, I think it was the evolution series, as this is what we just got in our classroom... I saw the boxes, and they had $399 printed on a label, they came from Turramurra. Sorry, I don't remember where you are from, but Bava's do mail order if you ring first. Try to talk to Nick, he is more helpful

good luck, from Steve

oh yeah, look at Ians post on encoder deal