skipping encoder

RowanHall

hey all!

everything is working fine except for one tiny problem.

the mbsid is configured as cs stepA.

when i turn the encoder to choose values/patches, some values are skipped out, therefore its quite difficult to choose what i require.

it is a 24 ppr detented encoder.

i assume there is an easy answer for this!

thanks in advance! :)

Hi,

there are 2 detented encoder modes provided by mios;

MIOS_ENC_MODE_DETENTED and

MIOS_ENC_MODE_DETENTED2

In the mios_tables.inc of the sid app., all the encoders are defined as "detented2 encoders". You could try changing the encoder mode to "detented", build a new sysex and upload the modified application. Don't know for sure if this will fix it but i would try it.

cheers,

marcel

hey rowan,

first open the mbsid project file in MPLAB IDE, then open the header file mios_tables.inc . Make the changes in this file like i mentioned above. When finished, build the project (F10 in MPLAB i think), and then when there are no build errors, convert the hex file you just made to sysex with convert.bat. This sysex file you can upload in your midibox.

cheers,

marcel

hey marcel!

thanks for all your help so far, it is greatly appreciated! :)

alas i am sorry to report that changing that setting hasn't worked i'm afraid!

it is possible that i have it wired wrong, its a bourns, currently its wired like the diagram with the middle pin as gnd.

i also noticed speed settings? should i fiddle with these?

also is it correct to assume that for every detent the value selected increases by one when turned slowly?

Rowan

Hi Rowan!

Sorry to see these giving you problems.....

it is possible that i have it wired wrong, its a bourns, currently its wired like the diagram with the middle pin as gnd.
Center pin is ground on these....
i also noticed speed settings? should i fiddle with these?
Yes!  You are on the right track here.....

From TK's SID 1.5 release notes

Rotary encoders: CS_MENU_ENC_speed_VALUE allows to define the speed setting for encoder #2-#15. Although I'm using non-detented encoders, I prefer following setup: encoders in MIOS_ENC_MODE_DETENTED2 mode (reduces the resolution), CS_MENU_ENC_speed_VALUE set to 3 (by moving the encoder faster, you can sweep over the whole value range)

The best setup depends on the used encoder, just try different settings.

I have not used it, but enc_speed_v1_3.zip from MIOS downloads/test apps/ lets you try the different encoder modes with minimal effort.

See also Where does the encoder speed thing go ?

And Heeeeeeeeelp!!!

also is it correct to assume that for every detent the value selected increases by one when turned slowly?

Rowan

Yes, after you set up the encoder speed.

Let me know how it goes!

Best

Smash

thanks for your input on this issue, its all greatly appreciated! :)

i started fiddling about with the settings.

set some variables in the main.asm to

#define CS_MENU_USE_DETENTED_ENCODER 0

// i assume that by setting this to 0 the speed for the menu encoder will be defined below?

#define CS_MENU_ENC_SPEED_VALUE 2

i tweaked the knob to the left and each detent selected a different patch number!! bingo!

but... when i tweak it to the right, it takes several detents before the patch changes! strange indeed!

any ideas? i'm confuzzled! haha!

Rowan