help me with my SID...

tgp

ok, need to get on building a SID for my final project in a class.

only two sources for PCB boards ive seen so far are the midibox store:

http://avi.dezines.com/mbhp/buy.html

and one in germany i think.

is this correct? im in the US, and for some reason i was thinking that the Midibox store was not in the US? or am i wrong.

i wanna make it not to complex but still not overly simple, not a matrix of led's, a few adjustable parameters and a handfull of led's, barebones on the amount of other modules too.

i was thinking:

-SID module

-CORE module

-PSU module

-JDM module

for main items i needed.

how many sid modules should i get? and for each sid do i need another core, psu, jdm, ect?

kinda lost on that topic.

also, where can i get the 6581 chips from? does anyone sell remade ones or do you have to salvage c64's? any help on that appreciated too.

i just didnt want to order alot of stuff, and find out i missed something, and be set back another week or so.

how fast is this guy at getting the stuff out?

thanks for any help guys, im really looking forward to getting rolling on this!

Taylor

Hi Taylor,

SmashTV's midiBox store is indeed in the US, so I'd imagine that would be your best bet.

i was thinking:

-SID module

-CORE module

-PSU module

-JDM module

for main items i needed.  

how many sid modules should i get? and for each sid do i need another core, psu, jdm, ect?

You are on the right track. If you want to have LED's you will also need at least 1 DOUT. Each DOUT handles 32 LEDs, so you probably only need one. If you want to have some knobs and buttons, you will need at least 1 DIN module. I also recommend you get an LCD as this makes troubleshooting and changing parameters much easier. Also, you might want one bankstick, so you can hold 128 patches.

I'd suggest you start with one, get it running and then decide if you want more. Each Sid module needs it's own core, but they can share the PSU. You only need one JDM to program the 18F's

so, where can i get the 6581 chips from?

Most of us pull them from used C64's TK had a link where they sold them, but I don't know if any are still available. Go to local flea-markets and second-hand stores. Even if the C64 looks abused, there is a good chance the 6581 is still good.

From your description, I'd recommend you build a Sid http://www.ucapps.de/midibox_sid_csB.html with one SID to start. This will let you change all the parameters of the sound from the menu with one encoder and 6 buttons. Then you can add more controls and(or) LEDs.

Some advice when you get started. Build the Core and JDM first - get them running. Then build the SID module and add it to the core. Get it running. Then build a DIN, add it to the core and get it running and so forth. This method of building a small piece at a time and then testing it is so much easier than building and hooking up everything at once and then trying to find your problems.

Hope this helps

Justin

thank you guys VERY much.

one more thing. im using mac OS X, will the java controller for the sid work right on that?

ive got a pc i can use, but would like to know how hard its gonna be to test it out with a mac.

also, i dont see the Bankstick pcb on smash's site. but i remember seeing the schematic on Ucapps. will i have to fabricate it myself?

thanks again.

Taylor

and for the bankstick; you just connect the ic pins directly to the pic (at the bankstick port (J4) on core circuit) you can do this direct (internal bankstick) or through a sub-d connector (external bankstick; like a plug and play flashcard or something, you can change banksticks then)

good luck,

marcel

• 2 weeks later...