LC led meters: cubase compatible??

mb944

Hi there!

I recently had the chance to play with a friend's Mackie control universal for a couple of hours(within cubase SX).

I found the thing so ergonomic, I decided to make myself a midibox LC. Taking a look at the midibox_lc_ledrings_meters.pdf diagrams, I noticed that as well as rings, LC supports METERS

I also noticed meters on Axel's beautifull 3xLc.

I'm a cubase user who can't be talked out of it  ;)

so my question is:

Are the meters going to work in sx?

obviously, mackie ctr don't have any, so I guess Steinberg haven't bothered implenting such compatibility.

It would be cool to be able to keep an eye on the levels at all time, so definitly Worth fitting in if I can get them to work!

I'd love to know if anyone has got LED baragraph levels in cubase!

thanks in advance,

-Alex

hi,

I'm still trying to work out answers to these questions but I think I can be certain about this.

The cubase mackie control documentation mentions a mode whereby the metering is displayed on the LCD.

This implies that the level meter info is fed to the control surface in mackie control mode, it is simply a case of displaying it.

The mackie HUI has a LED meter for each track but I think the MIDIbox LC in mackie mode uses the Mackie Control protocol (not mackie HUI).

cheers

Hi!

I use cubase's Generic Remote, since i'm working with a modified LC,. This driver can asign "meter" ,"meterMAX" and "Clip" to midi msgs. I use this for my Signal leds. ofcourse they only show if a signal is present or not. but im quite sure you could hook up a complete meter.

Hi,

one thing is sure..... the meters of the lc don't work with Cubase !!

None of them (the "display" meters or the "Led" meters) are showing the right values. You'll get random values from left to right but not the right ones. This problem is a natural Cubase problem. Some time ago I tried to fix it with TKs help. The only thing we recogniced is, that the signals out of Cubase are wrong !

I still don't have a solution for that problem and I hope it will be fixed in the next Cubase release.

greets

Doc

Doc, I have recorded the  METER OUT into a midi track,

and the whole things looks quite coherant.

Maybe the issue has been adressed since Sx2??!!

check out screen capture of audio track 1 with  it's  METER values recorded to midi track 2:

analog.gif

note that the drop half way was normal, its me playing with track one's volume  :-/

Looks like I'll be adding baragraphs after all, though I must admit that my alltime dream would be analog needles  8)

anyone used Aouts with these?

thanks for pointing out the generic module METER values. would never have guessed they existed...

mackie.gif

YUMMY!!!(just a fake though....)

Doggle,

I did it with a generic device, because I can't acces the core of makie within cubase device setup.

Maybe somewhere I can download and import a replica of the mackie in .Xml generic remote format.

It would make things nice and easy to hack.

can't wait for sx3 to get a bit cheaper!!

Thank you for your work,

but the problem is the Mackie-Controller. Not the generic.

I also hope this is fixed in SX3. (in sx2 its definitly NOT!).

I'll wait on other user response on this behaviour before i'll get the update to sx3.

Thanks

Doc

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.

I find simple "Signal indicators" handy, cause I only need to know if there is sound or not, the only time I need a real meter is on the master when making sure the levels are right before the audio is handed to the broadcaster or such, in that case I don't trust the slow VU meter's of cubase anyway. maybe this is only me being paranoid.