Component questions

Editor

Hi,

I am planning on building a MIDIbox SID and just wanted to confirm on what I need exactly.

I plan on buying the kits for the core and sid modules from SmashTv. I have a c64 with a 6581 and a psu. I may also get a 2x20 LCD.

Are the pcb mounted midi interconnects easiest to use? Mouser #164-7150

I see many different types of audio jacks as well but this looks similar to Thorsten's selection for the OPL3 project. Mouser #568-NYS215/2

What type of connectors can I get for connecting the the midi and audio jacks to the pins or should I just solder to the board?

I have some spare serial ata ribbon cables, can I use those to connect the lcd and the sid to the core. Can someone give me the mouser part # for the end connectors for the ribbon cables, I am a little confused with what I need. Also, is there anything else I am forgetting? Thanks

Mike

Hi,

First of all - have you noticed, that there's no space for PCB mount MIDI/audio connectors - You have tomount them "off board". ;)

I don't have direct links for needed connectors, and don't like browsing Mouser site - but you could start searching for mouser #517-2301 -- not really what you need, but if you download their catalogue page (884.pdf, was it?) and start looking from there.. It's easy to download other catalog pages from pdfs bookmark section.

Bye, Moebius

i use mouser #502-112A for audio.   they're more expensive than some of the others, but i like them.  it's a starting point for you anyway.  look around on that page if you want something cheaper.  don't use the one you were looking at (#568-NYS215/2).  as moebius said, there's no room for board mount jacks on smashtv's pcbs.  instead, use either the "L" or "M" models from that page: http://www.mouser.com/catalog/620/724.pdf

i use mouser #568-NYS325 for midi.  they're the cheapest, but they work just fine.

and for your ribbon cables, look for the rectangular connectors that look like the ones on the ends of the ide cables that you have...like the ones on page 848: http://www.mouser.com/catalog/620/848.pdf

I have a few more questions as I assemble this list of items.

Would it be wise for me to buy the 7pin female socket for the c64 psu? I haven't see this on any of the mbsids but it seems like a good idea.

What are the small two and three wire groupings called that mount on the sil headers? I saw these on a few projects for the midi and audio connections, it looks like the same thing used on computer fans.

I think most builders (myself included) scavenged the socket from the old C64. I am not sure what type socket you need if you don't have a C64 to steal from.

Yes, the 3 pin connectors are the same as those used on computers. In fact that is where I stole a bunch of components. You can get the 5 pin ones from old usb front panel connectors.

Justin