SID is awfully quiet

nILS

I just found some time to start working on my SID again. Checked all the voltages on my SID module and the (16F) module again. All fine. Uploaded the SID-firmware to the Core, which I successfully tested with the rxtx and tx programs. So far so good. But now I don'T get any sound out of the SID except for some noise when I plug the SID in. Now, does this sound like a technical problem or am I just not doing things right?

Appears to me I don't really understand the whole SysEx thing ;)

Thanks in advance,

nILS

I know about the limitations of the 16F design. Doesn't matter all that much, since I'm planning on building a Step C -> this one is just going to be a slave. I burnt the old Sid v1.5 firmware for the 6581. It worked the last time I worked with it which has been about 2 years  ago. I don't quite remember if it ever worked with the complete firmware or if i only had some little test program =) Does that help?

nILS

If you don't remember the enjoyment which comes up when hearing the first SID sounds, then it propably never worked ;-)

Once you've burned the PIC16F firmware into the PIC, you will hear the default sound. There is no need for uploading a patch just to hear anything from the SID

Best Regards, Thorsten.

I DO remeber the tremendous joy of the first sound of my SID  ;D I just don't remember what firmware I had burnt back then...

Ok, let me get into some more detail here: I just hooked some display up to the Core. Unfortunately all I had was a 16x1. But still it reads "P: 1 CInternal". Which is a good thing, I believe ;) I just tried to send some SysEx via MidiOx  (ie. F0 00 00 7E 46 01 0F F7) to the Core but don't get any reply at all. Very strange. The device ID shouldn't matter if there's only one core, right?

BTW, when I power up the core, I get a very high pitched note for about a second. Preceded and followed by quite a loud clicking sound. Is that good?

Hope that helps y'all to help me ;)

nILS

Hi,

the device ID does matter. Maybe you've changed it by accident (e.g. with JSynthLib?)

The JSynthLib editor provides a function to change it back to 0 (or just read in the Wiki how to do this)

Or even more simple: just burn the firmware again into the PIC

Yes, the noise at the beginning sounds like a reset (therefore: good)

You could send a program change (try different MIDI channels, maybe you've changed it also!) in order to check if the MIDI In is working, because this should change at least the Patch number

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hmm. I set the device ID and MIDI channel to 1. After that I sent some program changes as you said - no change at the box at all. This is kinda strange since the rxtx and tx apps all worked fine...  :'(

Any more ideas? Thanks,

nILS

EDIT:

Just to make sure: Changing the patch should work, even if the SID module is not or not correctly plugged in, right?

You didn't mention how you've changed the device ID and the MIDI channel, therefore I assume you made it wrong.

Did you try the Program Change on all MIDI channels? Yes, it should work even if no SID module is connected

Best Regards, Thorsten.

> therefore I assume you made it wrong.

Ouch  :'(

First of all I changed it with JSynthLib. Still didn't do anything. Then I changed it via SysEx. Still didn't work. Then I read the PIC  and compared it with the .hex file - no differences. The I burnt the PIC again just to make sure. Still it doesn't do anything. I double-checked all the settings in MidiOX and they all seemed to be ok.

Yes, I did try to change the program on all MIDI channels. This is getting quite confusing ;)

nILS

EDIT: Whoopie. Just found a problem =) The TXRX doesn't work anymore. No idea why though. Going thru the entire troubleshooting MIDI thing now. I can rule out some of the points already since the test app worked yesterday.

EDIT 2: I just found the old thread, back when I worked on the SID the last time. http://69.56.171.55/~midibox/forum/index.php?topic=1453.0. I can't seem to find the SID test program anymore - okay this wouldnt't help right now, but it would surely be nice to hear something from my SID ;)

Status update: I believe I tried everything. Checked every connection, cable and component. Tried the other resistors as described on the Troubleshooting page. I even did the "Gameport to J11" thing. Triple-checked every setting in MIDI-Ox. Nothing. No MIDI In at all. What the hell is wrong with my core? There must be something terribly obvious that I don't notice, I guess.

By the way, I found the SID_V2 test program on some old backup and it works. Hooray.

Any ideas, anyone? I'm desperate  :'(

nILS

EDIT: Spelling