Problems with the WIKI

Julian

hi,

I wanted to add some Info about the AOUT and The SEQ to the Wiki.

I tried it yesterday and today, but all I get is the essage

"lib/WikiUserNew.php:2009: Warning[512]: Unable to connect to IMAP server localhost:143/imap/notls"

when I want to sign in.

best,

julian

Thanks Julian for not giving up on the wiki!

I am aware of the wiki issues, that damn wiki engine has done nothing but steal time from me since day one.

The coding has been done by so many people (and it's in such bad shape) that when you fix one thing it breaks

something bigger.  I fought the authentication on it for over 10 hours before I got it to work, then it worked for about a week and broke.  After that nothing I did to try to make it play friendly would break things in a bigger way (note to -any- developers, LDAP auth is not for applications like this!)

That said I have been actively searching for a decent wiki engine pretty much since I installed that one.

Decent in my opinion includes login or other verify before edits can be made, so the link farm spammers won't come along and destroy the work (they have hit the current wiki several times already).

Decent also means not trying to provide every possible feature (like the BloatWareWiki we are using now).

There is an engine that I think hold some promise, and I think the format/useability stomps the current wiki concept.

Take a look at a test install of it here: http://www.avishowtech.com/wiki/.  To edit use username:guest password:guest. (you have to be me to delete though!)

This is a fresh install so nothing has been changed yet, please play with/test it and let me know what you think.

The only reason I have not just replaced the old wiki with this one is security.  This engine has it's own very simple login system, and that will have to be re-written to use the existing portal user database.

So anyone with some PHP skills wants to help me tackle this, let me know and I'll make it worth your time.

But in the meantime I'll keep trying myself, I think it's mostly syntax making trouble for me, so I'll keep breaking and fixing another install of this engine until I get it right (or someone helps!)......

Using the authentication built in to the engine is not really an option, since it would require hand editing a file every time I need to add a new user, and I absolutely want to keep everything to one login on the portal.

Anybody good with PHP (or able to fake it better than me)?

Best!

Smash

Almost forgot to mention that the login is not the only reason I hate the current wiki, It has a bad habit of working as expected for a few days then hanging 100 bad processes on the database server.  I can fix this, If I want to spend exponentially more time repairing what the fix breaks. 

Also it sounds like I'm super critical of this wiki, and I am, but I picked it, and it really was the best thing out there at the time, and it's still one of the best options out there.  Sad that it's keeping a lot of webmasters from sleeping well... ;)

Best!

Smash