New PIC18F programmer under development

TK.

Hi,

I just want to inform you that I've created a new PIC programmer based on the AN589 application note from Microchip with some additional circuity to ensure a stable programming voltage (7805 for 5V and LM317 for 12V) and proper digital signals (74HC14 schmitt triggers). For myself this programmer will be required to bring the bootloader into the PIC18F4550, because this chip is currently only supported by P18 (http://www.sprut.de/electronic/soft/p18/p18.htm) which doesn't support the JDM

However, the new solution requires more components than Broccoli (e.g. an external power supply), but should work with all PCs.

I will release the beta schematic once I got the PIC18F4550 and was able to test it with this chip

Best Regards, Thorsten.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Thorsten!

Now this is nice! I ask you a question and instead of an answer I get a release!!  ;D

Thanks a lot!

I will give it a try and build one, but I have one question: I have 74LS14 ICs here. I know they belong to the somewhat older logic family, but they should work here, don't you think?

regards, tom

I ask you a question and instead of an answer I get a release!!  ;D

Thanks a lot!

Yeah, I asked about adding MIDI clock display to the MIDImon a long time ago, and he had it in the next firmware update a week or two later. Wish some of the big developers were that responsive :)

-Thanks!

:)

Fantastic!

I'm going to start building one and try it on one of my 18f4550s! Thanks.

I do a lot of diverse hardware projects and it always seems that midibox.org is a great source of help and the "latest information" for any multimedia PIC project.

Thanks again,

Lorin

• 4 months later...

Hi

Have built & tested the new pic programmer - seems to work really well; however here's some of  the problems i have encountered:

1. The schematics describing the pinouts of the parrallel port connector, the transistor & regulator pin-out diagrams need to indicate from what persective they are drawn. ie: component leads viewed from bottom / connector viewed from soldering side.

(This initially caused me afew headaches)

2. The programming software is currently complaining that the hex files for the SID firmware ''are too big & do not contain configuration data'' ..after this the pic can be flashed for some strange reason.

Also dispite using the new prommer to burn the pics; i am still having problems getting any signs of life out of my midibox projects. Chips still not oscillating ! :/ Hopefully this'll be sorted in the near future; will get on with other bits here until then.