space between pots...

bosone

i know this is a stupid question... but what do you think is an handy and confortable spacing (both vertical and horizontal) for the pots of the midibox?

of, put in other words, how many millimeters did you leave between a pot and its neighbour?

i'm about to design my new midibox (with pic16F, 16encoder and 16 analog pot) and i'd like to optimize its dimension... making it as small as possible, but also as confortable as i can!! :-)

any experience will be appreciated!

Mhhh...

on my MB64E I've 25mm space between the knobs (35mm between the centers of the axis). For me that's very comfortable.

Comfortable for you...??? I don't know. You should test it by mounting some pots (with the knobs you want to use!!) on a cardboard (easy and cheap).

Raphael

on my MB64E I've 25mm space between the knobs (35mm between the centers of the axis). For me that's very comfortable.

... I would tell the same.

Large format live consoles have mostly, as Raphael wrote, 30-35mm and Studio mixers 35-45mm.

Cheep mixers like for example a "soundcraft-spirit" have 25mmm (center to center) and you know how this feels... if you wanna work  ;)

Greets, Roger

PS: Why not go to a store, try some mixers and measure the one you like (just when nobody from the sales guys are looking  ;D?

I think, Roger met the point: studio mixers >35mm. The harmonized size in studio environment since years is ~40mm (Tonstudio DIN) -- which gives you enough comfort for long mixing sessions. I tried on some dummy panels -- due to exactly the same reason as asked in this original post. 25mm is too small. 30mm is just ok, but 35-40 is great. 45 is not necessary anymore. Too much space for nothing. I made exactly the same examination as Roger suggested: try several mixing consoles, professional as well as "hobby versions". You will see the difference. Same is valid for the pushbuttons. Yesterday I had a conversation with a sales representative from EAO Lumitas, and checked the look&feel with the professional versions (series 95 and 97 for those of you who know EAO Lumitas). They supply their push buttons to a lot of professional mixing console manufacturers. There are really "worlds" between simple & cheap versions, and professional versions.  And if you wanna get illuminated versions, it's even more phantastic...  :D

Cheers,

Skunk

45 is not necessary anymore. Too much space for nothing

... Fairlight FAME uses 45 and just as Skunk wrote: It's not really necessary, but....

I'll have 45 on my LC, because that's what I like on the Fairlight: You can place your hand over the fader, grab it with your index or middle finger, while the left and right part of your hand is placed on the panel and the other faders still won't be disturbed in their movement by your hand.

As you said...

making it as small as possible
... then 45mm is definetly not what you want.

Greets, Roger

PS: perhaps you even don't have faders